This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3945 / 51°23'40"N
Longitude: -2.1689 / 2°10'8"W
OS Eastings: 388341
OS Northings: 166180
OS Grid: ST883661
Mapcode National: GBR 1RW.JFV
Mapcode Global: VH96Q.C66S
Entry Name: Whtley Farmhouse
Listing Date: 13 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1021765
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314402
Location: Melksham Without, Wiltshire, SN12
Civil Parish: Melksham Without
Built-Up Area: Whitley
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Shaw and Whitley
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 86 NE MELKSHAM WITHOUT FIRST LANE,WHITLEY
1/185 Whitley Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Late C17. Rubblestone, stone slate roof with
saddleback coped verges, kneelers and finials. Ashlar stacks.
L-plan with cross-passage. 2 storeys, 3 windows. Central 7-
plank door has moulded architrave and drip mould continuous with
windows to left. Windows are 3 and 2-light ovolo moulded mullions
to left and to right is paired 8-pane sash in moulded architrave.
Above are 3 Cotswold-type gables each with one 3-light ovolo
mullioned window with drip mould. Projecting wing to right is 2-
storey with 2 windows; 3-light ovolo mullioned window with drip
mould and one cross window to ground, above is jettied first floor
landing with one casement, supported on timber posts and a stone
column with Ionic capital. 3-light ovolo mullioned window to
right. Windows to wing and rear of main house are similar; same
Cotswold-type gables to rear and parlour window is 4-light ovolo
mullioned with king mullion.
Interior: parlour to right of front door has large stone 4-centred
arched fireplace and chamfered ceiling beams with plain stops.
Stairs in main house and wing. Wing formerly used as services
containing bakehouse, apple room and large cellar (now blocked).
Datestone in central gable, of 1696 below initials T M is from the
dovecote demolished in 1960's. This is a good example of a large
C17 stone farmhouse.
Listing NGR: ST8834166180
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings