History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ancliff Square chapel at Nos 1-4 the Old Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Westwood, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3381 / 51°20'17"N

Longitude: -2.2835 / 2°17'0"W

OS Eastings: 380347

OS Northings: 159929

OS Grid: ST803599

Mapcode National: GBR 0R5.5GJ

Mapcode Global: VH96V.CMNK

Entry Name: Ancliff Square chapel at Nos 1-4 the Old Court

Listing Date: 13 November 1962

Last Amended: 27 April 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1021780

English Heritage Legacy ID: 314443

Location: Westwood, Wiltshire, BA15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Westwood

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Westwood St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Westwood

Listing Text

ST 85 NW WESTWOOD AVONCLIFFE
(south side)
6/225
Nos 1-12 (consec) Ancliff
13.11.62 Square (formerly listed
14.6.88 as Nos 1-14 The Old Court)
and chapel at Nos 1-4 The
Old Court (formerly listed
as Nos 1-14, The Old
Court)

GV II

Weavers' houses, then Bradford Union Workhouse, and attached chapel, now 12 houses.
Weavers' houses 1790s, converted to Workhouse 1836 and chapel added; restored and
converted to houses late 1980s. Limestone ashlar, painted. Welsh slate roof to
former chapel, otherwise stone slate roofs, with coped verges and stone stacks,
left hand with replacement C20 tiles. Former weavers houses set in U-shaped court
facing north with the chapel, now nos 7 (East Chapel) and 8 (West Chapel) and parts
of nos 4-6, added to rear, centre. North elevation: 3 storeys; 11-bay main range,
the 3 central bays breaking forward; 4-bay left hand wing, formerly extending
further forward; 10-bay right hand wing of different builds. The main range centre-
piece has: central 4-panel door in pilastered ashlar architrave with bracketed stone
slab hood; a single sash window to each floor above door, otherwise paired sashes,
all of 12 panes on ground floor and 1st floors, unequally-hung 9 panes on 2nd floor,
and all with projecting stone sills; 1st floor platt band and sill band; ashlar
parapet and coping rising to corniced end stacks. The rest of the main range has
half-glaze doors and small-paned C20 2-light casement windows with projecting sills.
Similar windows to wings, but some older small sashes to front end of right hand
wing and doors of 4 and 6 panes. Half hipped roofs to wing gables. All ranges have
blocked mullioned windows and 2-light casements as before to rear. The former
chapel is of 1 storey with basement, 2 bays. On basement floor: doorways at ends
with late-C20 glazed doors; between these a 30-pane sash, two late C20 casements,
and a 4-pane sash. On ground floor a 6-panel door at each end with 2 tall, round-
headed sashes with interlaced, glazing bars between them. Returns each have 2-light
casements and late-C20 doors and windows to basement and on 1st floor 2 round-
headed sashes with interlaced glazing bars and late C20 window. Interior of chapel
retains 4-panel doors in reeded architraves. The original range of weavers' houses
is believed to have been built by Moggeridge and Joy, local textile mill
owners. (VCH Wiltshire Vol II 1980).

------------------------------------

ST 85 NW WESTWOOD AVONCLIFF
(south side)


6/225 Nos 1 to 14 (consec) The Old Court
(formerly listed as Old Court Hotel)
13-11-62


GV II


Bradford Union Workhouse, now flats. 1790s, converted to workhouse
1835. Limestone ashlar, stone slate roof with coped verges and
stone stacks. U-plan. Three storey, 11-window main range; three
centre bays break forward. Central 4-panelled door with flat stone
hood on pilasters, pair of 12-pane sashes either side, plat bands
to first floor; pair of sashes, second floor has 9-pane sashes,
moulded stone eaves. Ranges extending either side have half-glazed
doors and four 2-light casements to ground, first and second
floors. Wings projecting to front; the left hand truncated mid
C20 and with four surviving bays of 2-light casements to ground,
first and second floors. Right hand wing has ten bays of 2-light
casements, 4 and 6-panelled doors. Rear of all ranges have 2-light
casements, blocked- mullioned windows. Built as a block of
industrial dwellings in 1790s and converted for use by the Bradford
Union Workhouse in 1836, subsequently used as a hotel and flats.
(VCH, Wiltshire, Vol II, 1980)


ST 85 NW WESTWOOD AVONCLIFF
(south side)


6/226 Chapel at Nos 1-14 The Old Court


GV II


Chapel built for Bradford Union Workhouse. Circa 1835. Limestone
ashlar, shallow pyramidal Welsh slate roof. Attached to rear of
former workhouse (q.v. The Old Courts), entrance to first floor
from higher ground level at rear. Two-storey, 2-window. Twenty-
five-pane sashes and 4-pane sash to basement ground floor, entrance
to first floor with 6-panelled door left and right and two round-
headed sashes with interlaced glazing bars between. Left and right
returns have 2-light casements and C20 windows to ground floor, two
round-headed sashes with interlaced glazing bars to first floor.
Interior altered C20, retains 4-panelled doors in reeded
architraves.


Listing NGR: ST8034759929

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.