This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3321 / 51°19'55"N
Longitude: -2.1866 / 2°11'11"W
OS Eastings: 387098
OS Northings: 159234
OS Grid: ST870592
Mapcode National: GBR 1SN.D06
Mapcode Global: VH96X.1SX6
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 13 November 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1021792
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314471
Location: Hilperton, Wiltshire, BA14
Civil Parish: Hilperton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Hilperton with Whaddon St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
St 85 NE HILPERTON THE KNAP
7/23 Church of St Michael
and All Angels
Anglican parish church. C15, rebuilt 1852 by T.H. Wyatt in C14
style. Rubble stone, Welsh slate roof with coped verges. Plan:
West tower, nave with south porch, chancel with north vestry and
organ chamber. Gabled C19 porch with segmental pointed doorway
with hoodmould, coped verge with cross finial. Nave has one 2-
light segmental pointed window to left and gabled dormer with 2-
light pointed window over, three 2-light pointed windows to right
of porch, corbelled eaves. Chancel has two 2-light pointed
windows with hoodmoulds to south side, 3-light window with
reticulated tracery to east, angle buttresses, vestry has 2-light
pointed east window, 1892 consecration cross, north side has Tudor-
arched doorway and 2-light window, lean-to attached to east side
has 5-light ovolo-mullioned casement, cusped lancet over, stack
with panelled sides. North side of nave has three 2-light pointed
windows and one 2-light segmental-headed window, three reset
memorial tablets, probably from chest tombs, one incorporating a
bronze panel - to Betty Daniel died 1770. Three-stage tower has
diagonal buttresses, west doorway with rounded corners and cusp,
planked door with strap hinges, 3-light restored pointed
Perpendicular window over string course, lancet on south side.
Second stage has lancet to north, circular clock face to south.
Upper part of bellstage has ogee-headed deep chamfered lancets,
circular clockface on west side. Octagonal broach spire.
Polygonal C19 stair turret with chamfered arrowloops on north side.
Interior: Porch has scissor-rafter roof, C19 moulded pointed
doorway. Nave has 5-bay roof; deep arch-braced collar trusses on
foliated corbels, double chamfered segmental-pointed tower arch
with 1890s wooden screen. C19 double chamfered chancel arch with
wrought iron screen. Chancel has panelled roof with painted ribs
and panels, two moulded pointed arches through to vestry and organ
chamber with wooden screen. C19 wooden reredos, piscina on south
east windowsill. C19 polygonal wooden pulpit with octagonal
tester, given by John Kemp 1894. C19 seating. Royal arms of
George III, 1771 over south doorway. C12 cylindrical stone font
with fine carved arcading, reset on C19 base. 1890s Flemish or
German stained glass in north west nave and south east chancel
windows. South east window of nave to Rush family, by Ward and
Hughes 1894. 1920s south west nave glass to John Kemp. East
window to Gouldsmith family. Monuments include brass on nave bench
end to John Fido, rector died 1723, black and white marble tablet
with draped urn to Elizabeth Chapman died 1780. Medieval church
door against west end of nave; a fine example with cross braces.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST8709859234
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings