History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Katherine

A Grade II* Listed Building in Holt, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3533 / 51°21'12"N

Longitude: -2.2015 / 2°12'5"W

OS Eastings: 386065

OS Northings: 161603

OS Grid: ST860616

Mapcode National: GBR 1SF.273

Mapcode Global: VH96W.S7JW

Entry Name: Church of St Katherine

Listing Date: 13 November 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1021796

English Heritage Legacy ID: 314480

Location: Holt, Wiltshire, BA14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Holt

Built-Up Area: Holt (Wiltshire)

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Holt St Katharine

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Holt

Listing Text

ST 8661 HOLT CHURCH STREET
(north side)


10/32 Church of St Katherine

13-11-62


GV II*


Anglican parish church. C15 tower, rest rebuilt 1891 by C.E.
Ponting. Dressed limestone, Welsh slate roof with coped verges.
Plan: west tower, aisled nave, south porch, chancel with north
vestry. 1890s gabled porch with moulded pointed C13-style archway,
stone carving of St Katherine in trefoiled star over door,
saddleback coped verge with finial. South aisle has two 2-light
Tudor-arched windows in Perpendicular style with mask terminals to
hoodmoulds to left and right of porch, moulded cornice to
battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles, square-headed 3-light
west and east aisle windows. Nave clerestory has four 3-light
square-headed windows, gableted pilasters to east and west corners.
Chancel has three 2-light square-headed south windows, gableted
angle buttresses with pinnacles and 5-light Perpendicular style
east window with ogee hoodmoulds, 1890s north vestry has pointed
moulded doorway, pointed mullioned and transomed window and stack
with traceried panels. North aisle has two-light mullioned windows
with Tudor-arched lights and hoodmoulds, buttresses with pinnacles
carried above parapet, fielded inscription panels reset along base
of wall, probably from chest tombs, 3-light square-headed west
aisle window. C15 three-stage tower has moulded plinth, diagonal
buttresses, string courses, Tudor-arched west doorway with double
planked doors, 3-light Perpendicular window over, string course to
middle stage with large canopied image niche with 2 relief-carved
wheels of St Katherine below, north and south sides have deeply
recessed Tudor-arched lancets with hoodmoulds. Bellstage has 2-
light pointed stone louvres, moulded string course with gargoyles
to battlemented parapet with carved Katherine wheels, corner
pinnacles, saddleback tower roof, shallow projecting stair turret
on north side with arrowloops.
Interior: Four-bay C19 nave roof with hammer-beam trusses and
brattishing, 4-bay arcade with moulded pointed arches on cavetto-
moulded octagonal piers, string course below clerestory. Lean-to
aisle roofs on stone corbels, moulded elliptical archway at east
end of north aisle through to vestry. C15 double-cavetto-moulded
tower arch, coping of former steeper nave roof visible on wall
above, narrow Tudor-arched doorway to stairs. Pointed chancel arch
with triple shafts, brattished capitals. Chancel has pointed
barrel-vaulted boarded roof with ribs, brattished frieze, moulded
elliptical archway to organ chamber and vestry with angel carved on
keystone. Tiled floor, 2-seat sedilia with crocketed canopy on
south wall, 2-bay piscina and aumbry on north wall. Fittings:
Vine-leaf carved stone reredos, Perpendicular stone altar, brass
and wooden communion rail, 1890s seating throughout and wooden
pulpit with traceried panels, given by Rev H. Moseley 1891. C12
cylindrical stone font bowl with scallops and chevrons, reset on
vase pedestal. Some good stained glass; unsigned east window in
memory of Edith Mackay died 1886, south east aisle window by
Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1925. Monuments: Two hatchments in
tower. South aisle has 2 coloured marble tablets with draped urns
by Brewer of Box, to John Godwin died 1790 and to Mary Tayle died
1802, painted stone tablet to John Shewring died 1691 with cupids
and bay leaf oval panel with inscription, several early C18
tablets with semi-circular headed tops, e.g. to Richard Earl; died
1718. Baily monuments in tower include moulded stone tablet with
scrolled pediment with arms, to Elizabeth Baily, died 1705, large
stone tablet with drapery and gadrooned apron to Jonathan Godwin
died 1761. In north aisle are C19 classical black and white
marbles and tablet with draped urn to Francis Pont died 1784, by
Reeves of Bath.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)


Listing NGR: ST8606561603

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.