History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in South Wraxall, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3818 / 51°22'54"N

Longitude: -2.2419 / 2°14'30"W

OS Eastings: 383262

OS Northings: 164782

OS Grid: ST832647

Mapcode National: GBR 1RZ.B0M

Mapcode Global: VH96P.3J5J

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 13 November 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1021864

English Heritage Legacy ID: 314643

Location: South Wraxall, Wiltshire, BA15

County: Wiltshire

Parish: South Wraxall

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: South Wraxall St James

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Listing Text

ST 86 SW SOUTH WRAXALL UPPER WRAXALL
(east side)


4/197 Church of St James

13-11-62


GV II*


Anglican parish church. C14, C15, 1832 north aisle by H.E.
Goodridge, 1882 restoration and chancel by Weaver and Adye. Random
rubble stone, stone slate roof with coped verges and cross finials.
Plan: West tower, nave with north aisle and south chapel and
porch, chancel with north vestry. South porch incorporated into
west end of south chapel; moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould
with lozenge terminals, C17 square-headed doorway to right with
hoodmould and relief-carved date 1666 and initials RL (Long
family), square-headed 3-light Perpendicular window to right,
chamfered light to west end and 3-light Perpendicular window to
east, C18 memorial tablet on south wall. 1882 ashlar chancel has
two 2-light Perpendicular style windows to south, diagonal
buttresses and 3-light Perpendicular style window to east, large
consecration cross below. North vestry has 2-light Perpendicular-
style east window, angle buttresses, two Tudor-arched north
doorways. North aisle has three 2-light Tudor-arched windows with
hoodmoulds, gableted buttresses, moulded cornice to plain parapet.
Three-stage west tower has short angle buttresses, 3-light C19 west
window, blocked south doorway, offset bellstage with 2-light
pointed windows on south and north with pierced stone louvres,
steep saddle-back stone roof with short obelisk pinnacles and ball
finials.
Interior: Nave has 1880s six-bay collar-rafter roof with moulded
arch braces and purlins with carved bosses, foliage carved frieze.
Polychrome tiled floor, ashlar-lined walls. Early C14 continuously
double chamfered tower arch. Four-bay 1880s north arcade with
moulded pointed arches on moulded piers with attached shafts, aisle
has rib-panelled roof. Wide moulded arch to Long chapel, restored
piscina on north side of arch. Chapel contains cusped ogee piscina
on south wall, crocketed image niches flanking east window,
possibly C19, trefoiled squint through to chancel. Wide 1880s
moulded chancel arch on attached shafts, open traceried low stone
screen with wrought iron gates, incorporates polygonal traceried
pulpit on north side. Chancel has polychrome tiled floor, 4-bay
collar rafter with moulded purlins and arch-braces, carved vine
frieze, moulded pointed arch to north organ chamber and pointed
doorway to vestry, C19 cusped piscina on south wall, painted metal
Commandment boards on east wall, late C19 seating throughout
church, C19 brass and wood communion rail. West window has stained
glass by O'Connor of London in memory of William, 5th Earl of
Mornington. Octagonal stone C19 font in tower. Good C18
collection of monuments, including in the nave, large pilastered
tablet to Sarah Newel died 1755; north aisle scrolled pedimented
tablet to Stephen Bowyer died 1780 signed by Ranlings of Box;
chancel has several C19 classical black and white marble tablets
such as two by King of Bath, to Stephen Iles died 1816 and to James
Finch died 1815, also in the chancel is moulded tablet with
guilloches to William Jones died 1660. South chapel has imposing
classical monument on west wall with grey marble Composite columns
to modillioned pediment with cartouche, grey marble tomb with
large urn and inscription to Thomas Long died 1759, against south
wall of chapel is stone chest tomb with high-relief carved angel
with flanking beasts with shields; on top is effigy of a lady,
possibly C15, wall tablet to Henry Long died 1686 has floral
carved pilasters to Doric entablature, C18 marble floor tablets to
Long family.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; The
Architect, November 3rd, 1883)

Listing NGR: ST8326264782

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.