History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Staverton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3466 / 51°20'47"N

Longitude: -2.2098 / 2°12'35"W

OS Eastings: 385486

OS Northings: 160855

OS Grid: ST854608

Mapcode National: GBR 1SF.D53

Mapcode Global: VH96W.NF41

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 14 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1021875

English Heritage Legacy ID: 314668

Location: Staverton, Wiltshire, BA14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Staverton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Staverton with Hilperton Marsh

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Holt

Listing Text

ST 86 SE STAVERTON STAVERTON VILLAGE
(west side)


5/220 Church of St Paul


GV II


Anglican parish church. 1826. Dressed limestone, Welsh slate roof
with coped verges with cross finials. Plan: short west tower,
nave and chancel under one roof with small sanctuary, south porch
and north vestry. Gabled porch has moulded pointed doorway with
hoodmould and cross over, lancets to side. Nave has 3-light
depressed Tudor-arched window either side of porch. Sanctuary has
3-light depressed Tudor-arched window to east. Small gabled north
vestry with pair of shouldered lights and corbelled stone stacks.
North side of nave has three 3-light depressed Tudor-arched
windows. Two-stage tower has no string courses; planked shouldered
west doorway, 3-light depressed Tudor-arched window over, bellstage
with 2-light pointed louvred windows, shallow gabled roof with
coped verges.
Interior. Porch has fixed stone benches, Tudor-arched double
panelled doors into nave, collar rafter roof. Nave and chancel
under same roof have Tudor-arched barrel-vaulted ceiling with
moulded stone cornice. Moulded Tudor-arched tower arch and similar
arch to Sanctuary at east end. Fittings: C19 octagonal limestone
font near south door. Late C19 communion rail with foliage and
vine-carving and open traceried panels. Stained glass in east
window to Elizabeth Hargreaves died 1887. Metal commandment boards
on east wall of chancel. Damaged canvas Royal Arms against west
wall of tower, probably C19. Grey marble tablet with pediment on
south wall to Jane Smith died 1778 and other family members up to
1856.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)


Listing NGR: ST8548660855

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.