This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2108 / 52°12'38"N
Longitude: 0.1325 / 0°7'56"E
OS Eastings: 545798
OS Northings: 259099
OS Grid: TL457590
Mapcode National: GBR L79.B9R
Mapcode Global: VHHK3.7PWJ
Entry Name: Corpus Christi and Sidney Sussex Boathouse
Listing Date: 2 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1021928
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466551
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB4
District Council Ward: West Chesterton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Chesterton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4559 CAMBRIDGE, FORMER CB CUTTER FERRY LANE
667/15/10087 Corpus Christi and Sidney
Boathouse with changing facilities. 1958 by David Roberts, extended to sides in 1980s. Light-weight steel frame on piled concrete foundations infilled with brick and some weatherboarding to first floor front; shallow first floor houses changing facilities and has flat felt roof, deeper three bay boat store below has lean-to extensions and pitched roof. Symmetrical composition of three main bays to front, and the set-back lean-tos either side, all with folding doors under clerestory glazing' now blocked. Above, changing rooms with near-continuous broad band of glazing, with square panes and doors at either end, are set behind steel and timber balcony and reached via spiral concrete stairs to either side, with powerful newel posts and slender steel balustrade. Shields of the colleges sharing the boathouse to front, and four flagpoles complete the delicate grid of the composition. Interior of the ground floor a simple store; the upper floor noted to be 'spartan', as it does not overlook racing and elaborate facilities were not required.
Rowing started at Cambridge in the 1820s (before it was introduced at Oxford); Corpus Christi College founded its first club in 1827-30; Sidney Sussex followed in the early 1830s. They were the first colleges to build a combined boathouse. This was the first modern style boathouse built at Cambridge, and was widely imitated here and elsewhere. It is a graceful little building, making the most of a small budget ("13,000). The thin, angular lines are appropriate to its river setting, and contrast with the more flamboyant styles of the earlier boathouses alongside.
Listing NGR: TL4579859099
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings