This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5222 / 51°31'19"N
Longitude: -0.0967 / 0°5'48"W
OS Eastings: 532142
OS Northings: 182080
OS Grid: TQ321820
Mapcode National: GBR Q8.FH
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.8ZQZ
Entry Name: Cullum Welch House with Steps and Raised Walkway over Car Park
Listing Date: 4 December 1997
Last Amended: 25 February 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1021951
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466575
Location: City of London, London, EC1M
District: City and County of the City of London
Local Authority Ward: Cripplegate
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Giles Cripplegate
Church of England Diocese: London
627/3/10174 GOSWELL ROAD
04-DEC-97 GOLDEN LANE ESTATE
CULLUM WELCH HOUSE WITH STEPS AND RAIS
ED WALKWAY OVER CAR PARK
(Formerly listed as:
GOLDEN LANE ESTATE
CALLUM WELCH HOUSE WITH STEPS AND RAIS
ED WALKWAY OVER CARPARK)
Block of 72 flats. Part of the Golden Lane estate, design won in competition in 1952; this block designed in 1955 and built 1958-61. Original competition won by Geoffry Powell, estate developed by Chamberlin, Powell and Bon. Ove Arup and Partners engineers. Reinforced concrete floor slabs. Brick piers, arched over basement, with concrete access decks and red cladding panels under windows. Flat roof. Six storeys over open basement, containing residents' stores, reached via steps down from entrance court and leading to tennis courts (originally bowling green) and recreation centre. Beneath the block also is a car park, which extends under the walkway in front of the block. Four circular ventilation shafts are strong features of the composition. All flats are bedsits, arranged in pairs reached via staircases at each end and lift at west end (shared with Crescent House). Aluminium windows. Timber doors reached via access galleries on north side with openwork concrete balustrading. Interiors not of special interest.
HISTORY: The development of the Golden Lane Estate is explained in the entry for Great Arthur House.
SOURCES: E Harwood, A Guide to Post-war Listed Buildings (2000), p598
The Golden Lane Estate, souvenir opening brochure, Corporation of London (1957) p14
Architectural Review, January 1956, pp34-7
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Cullum Welch House, part of the Golden Lane Estate, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: as a self-sufficient 'urban village', in which every element of space is accounted for and every detail carefully considered, the Golden Lane Estate has claim to be the most successful of England's housing developments from the early 1950s.
* Planning interest: the estate reflects the formality, mixed with picturesque attention to landscape, which was emerging in British architecture in the early 1950s, this saw the spaces between the buildings being almost as important as the buildings themselves. The strong formality of the estate became a key characteristic of the work of Chamberlin, Powell and Bon, as did the provision of a wide range of facilities on the site other than just housing. These are features that can also be seen at their Barbican development.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings