History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Neston Park

A Grade II* Listed Building in Corsham, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4032 / 51°24'11"N

Longitude: -2.1997 / 2°11'58"W

OS Eastings: 386206

OS Northings: 167143

OS Grid: ST862671

Mapcode National: GBR 1RN.W4Z

Mapcode Global: VH96H.TZHQ

Entry Name: Neston Park

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1021961

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315027

Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Corsham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Neston

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Corsham

Listing Text

CORSHAM ATWORTH LANE,
ST 86 NE
3/3 Neston Park
20.12.60
II*

Country house, c1800, for J. Fuller, extended 1807, c1835-40, 1862
and 1875. Ashlar with slate low pitched roofs. Basement and 2
storeys to front, 3 storeys to rear service range. 'L'-plan main
house with extensive service and stable additions. Main S front as
illustrated in 1805 was of 2-1-2 bays with east end bow, angle
Corinthian pilasters, attached Corinthian columns framing centre
bay and further 2 bays to left with angle pilaster. Main front now
is of 2-3-3 bays with east end bow, angle Corinthian pilasters and
large projecting 4-column Corinthian portico with pilaster
responds, an addition of 1862 (P. Pictor, contractor), so that
original main entry is now in right bay of portico. Rusticated
basements, sill-course under ground floor windows, band, moulded
cornice with fluted frieze and parapet. Windows in flush unmoulded
surrounds, full-length to ground floor. C19 plate glass sashes and
French windows within portico. Entrance bay within portico is as
illustrated in 1805, upper tripartite window over arched doorway
with traceried fanlight, 6-panel door, side-lights panelled
dividing stone piers and lintel. East end 3-window full height bow
with 3-window range to right, possibly added c1830-40 when stair-
hall was created. Three upper sashes and cornice moulding as on
main front. Ground floor obscured by large projecting single
storey billiard room, added 1875 by E. Habershon. Ashlar with
Corinthian pilasters, cornice and parapet, 4-window south front,
moulded architraves, one French window with balustraded stone steps
up. East end is more ornate with projecting pediment over centre
window and arched niches flanking. West front is plain 2 storey 6-
window range with band, cornice and parapet as on main front but
without rusticated basement. Second and fourth bays project
slightly, centre and angles have plain pilaster strips. North end
rainwater head is dated 1807. To north, projecting west, is 6-bay
ashlar conservatory, added 1866, with 5 arched windows to south,
one bay return linking to north end of west front and 3-bay west
end with centre doorway. Panelled pilasters, moulded arches with
keystone, cornice and blocking course. Behind is 3-storey c1875
service wing with north entry and west gabled bellcote. Behind
west front, facing east is 3 storey, 4-window range with frieze,
cornice and parapet as on main fronts, floor bands and 4-pane
sashes. One-window range returns to left and right. Beyond right
side extends a long 'L'-plan coach-house and stable range, first 2
storey, 7 windows with cornice and parapet, the ground floor
incorporating 4 rusticated elliptical arches with imposts and keys,
apparently earlier than the upper floor and 2-window section to
left. Beyond is single storey 'L'-plan range with slate roof
dated 1841. South front has elliptical carriage arch each end and
2 small-paned windows, one with dormer gable over. West front has
2 windows flanking a door and south end tower with paired arches to
top stage and Jacobean-style cross gables.
Interior: 'T'-plan double height hall cut through front range to
broad rear stair-hall with imperial staircase rising to gallery on
marbled Corinthian columns. Wrought-iron stair and gallery rails.
Ornate plasterwork. Probably an alteration of c 1830-40. Library
to east of entrance has plaster early C19 frieze and green and
white marble fireplace, reset from room west of entrance, now
kitchen. At west end is ornate and unaltered rococo-revival
drawing room of 1836 with gilded plasterwork to walls, ornate
ceiling plaster and fine white marble fireplce. Dining Room to
north in 1807 range has plaster frieze and triple arcade at north
end with marbled pilasters and elliptical central arch. Decoration
possibly also of c1830-40. 1875 billiard room at east end has high
coved ceiling and elaborate stone fireplace. The estate was built
up by T. Tropenell in C15, passed to the Eyre family and in 1692 to
the Hanham family who sold it c1790 to J. Fuller (died 1839). J.B.
Fuller (died 1872) and G.P. Fuller (died 1927) succeeded. (H.
Brakspear, Corsham, n.d.27.)


Listing NGR: ST8620667143

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.