This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4348 / 51°26'5"N
Longitude: -2.1837 / 2°11'1"W
OS Eastings: 387323
OS Northings: 170658
OS Grid: ST873706
Mapcode National: GBR 1R9.SW0
Mapcode Global: VH96J.36DF
Entry Name: 110 and 112, High Street
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Last Amended: 1 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022044
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315223
Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13
Civil Parish: Corsham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
CORSHAM HIGH STREET
5/196 Nos 110 and 112
(formerly listed as separate items)
Pair of houses, said to date from 1632, possibly earlier, rubble
stone with stone tiled roof and ridge stack to No 110. Two and 1½
storeys. Houses are divided by a through passage. No 110 has 2
gables, one coped with saddlestone, and projecting 2-storey canted
bays of 1-3-1 light ovolo-moulded mullion windows with dripcourse
over lower windows, extended from left bay to left over moulded
basket-arched doorway to through passage with studded plank door.
No 112, to left, has one hipped dormer to right and ground floor 3-
light ovolo-moulded mullion window with hoodmould to left. Half-
hipped north end. No llohas 2 rear gables, one to rear of No
112, mullion windows. No 110 has scratch-moulded plank door in
timber surround from through passage, Tudor-arched fireplace, heavy
chamfered beams, one with broach stop and curious half-height early
C18 screen dividing north room from rear passage, now infilled
above. No 112 has heavy chamfered beams, 2 with run-out stops.
The house was owned in the C16 by the Humphrey family, passed to
the Tedbury family and was apparently rebuilt 1632 by W.Tedbury,
who was charged with encroaching on the lord's waste and over the
street. W.Bollen was the builder. The case may refer only to
extensions to a C16 house. The house was know as Tedburys.
Nos 90-112 form a fine C17 to C18 group, Nos 94-112 known as the
'Flemish weavers houses'.
(H.Brakspear Corsham n.d. 25; reprint Wilts. Arch Mag. 43, 511-39.)
Listing NGR: ST8732470653
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings