This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4348 / 51°26'5"N
Longitude: -2.184 / 2°11'2"W
OS Eastings: 387302
OS Northings: 170661
OS Grid: ST873706
Mapcode National: GBR 1R9.SSF
Mapcode Global: VH96J.367D
Entry Name: 79, High Street
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022054
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315252
Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13
Civil Parish: Corsham
Built-Up Area: Corsham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
CORSHAM HIGH STREET
5/225 No 79
House, C16 or earlier, roughcast rubble stone with stone tiled
roofs. One and a half storeys, Z-plan with main range gable-ended
to street and wings projecting to north-east and south-west. End
wall stacks to wings, ridge stack to main range. East end, to
street, has main coped gable with 2-light hollow-moulded mullion
window over 3-light flush chamfered mullion window. Studded plank
door to right in chamfered surround. To right, east side of wing
has upper dormer gable with 2-light recessed cyma-moulded window
over 2-light ovolo-moulded window. North gable end of wing has
blank panel and end wall stack on east roof slope. Rear west wall
stack and large lean-to in angle to main range with north end door.
Original pointed-arched doorway with plank door to cross-passage is
within lean-to extension. Main range north front has ground floor
2-light and single light, to right of lean-to, and upper 2-light
window, all ovolo-moulded. Roof is hipped at north-west angle.
Stone-tiled single storey addition at west end, and to right, west
side of south-west wing has recessed chamfered mullion window with
hoodmould to each floor, 2-light above, 3-light below. South
gable end is windowless and projects slightly beyond south front of
main range. South front has pointed-arched former door to cross-
passage, now with 4-pane intersecting glazing bar window, small
hipped eaves-breaking dormer over, 2-light ovolo-moulded window to
right with similar window in dormer gable over and blocked ground
floor window beyond.
Interior: Heavy 4-panel beamed ceiling at south-east extending
over present entrance passage. Room above has wind-brace and
stone Tudor-arched fireplace with shelf. Closed string stair with
moulded rail. Early C18 panelled door from stair to north east
upper room. Cross-passage has one pointed arched doorway on east
side, to entrance passage and 2 on west side, one to rear passage,
one to south-west ground floor room which has moulded Tudor-arched
fireplace. House is recorded as owned by Bolton or Tomson Family
from c1540 to 1597, L. Kington 1597-1606 and W. Moxham and his
descendants 1606-1762 when bought by P. Methuen.
(H. Brakspear Corsham n.d. 25.)
Listing NGR: ST8730270661
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings