History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jaggards House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Corsham, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4157 / 51°24'56"N

Longitude: -2.2109 / 2°12'39"W

OS Eastings: 385426

OS Northings: 168545

OS Grid: ST854685

Mapcode National: GBR 1RM.5V8

Mapcode Global: VH96H.MPJ1

Entry Name: Jaggards House

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Last Amended: 1 August 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022056

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315256

Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Corsham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Neston

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Corsham

Listing Text

CORSHAM JAGGARDS LANE
ST 86 NE
3/229 Jaggards House
(formerly listed as
20.12.60 Jaggards House with gatepiers)
GV II*

House rebuilt c1657 for R.Kington incorporating parts of a late
medieval house. Rough rendered rubble stone with stone tiled
roofs, coped gables and large paired ashlar stacks. Two and a
half storeys, L-plan main range, one room depth, mostly of 1657 and
east end cross-wing, C15 extended to south in C17 and 1899 by H.
Brakspear. Symmetrical north front, probably on site of medieval
hall with east end stacks, large central outside stack, and coped
gable each side. All windows are ovolo-moulded, mullion windows
to attics, mullion-and-transom to main floors. Two-window range
of 2-light windows each side of stack, dripcourse over ground
floor, continued around stack, similar course around stack at eaves
level. Gables each have 2-light attic window and hoodmould and
attached 2-storey porch with coped gable, left porch to through
passage, right porch to stair hall. Left porch is ashlar with
upper 2-light mullion-and-transom window, dripcourse below and
basket-arched moulded doorway. Moulded inner doorway with framed
plank door. Right side porch is apparently earlier, rough
rendered with upper 3-light recessed chamfered mullion window
dripcourse below over doorway similar to left porch. West end
gable with similar attic window, 2 similar first floor windows
under single hoodmould and dripcourse over ground floor. Wing
runs south with ridge stack and cross-gabled south end. Ground
floor C19 six-light and original 2-light window, first floor two 2-
lights, one with hoodmould carried around angle to south end
dripcourse and 2-light attic window in gable. South end has
dripcourses, 2-light attic, 2-light first floor as elsewhere but
ground floor 3-light mullion window. Flush quoins. East return
has similar attic and first floor over C19 door, with one-window
range to right, 2-light first floor over door. Rear of main range
has 3-window range of 2-light windows with dripcourse and door to
right. Central gable with 2-light window, dormer to right. C20
glazed verandah. Framed plank door as on north front. Cross-
wing at east end has coped north gable with Tudor-arched mullion
windows, 2-light above, 3-light below, probably C15 or C16. East
return has coped gable and 4-light C17 ovolo-moulded window with
king-mullion and hoodmould to each floor. Wing runs back beyond
south front of main range with south end gable rebuilt c1900 but
gable to west, enclosing rear court, mostly original with 2-light
attic window, 3-light and single light to first floor, all ovolo-
moulded with hoodmoulds. A wing runs east with north front mostly
c1900 but original C17 two-light and 3-light windows to east gable
end. In angle to south and across east end 2 parallel service
ranges, one dated 1899.
Interior: heavily carved north-west staircase with fretted stair
arch, carved newel finials, flat balusters and moulded rails.
Room to west, in rear wing has fine carved stone fireplace with
initials of R. & I.Kington and date 1657. Contemporary moulded
plaster ceiling with masks at each corner of centre panel and
fleurs-de-lys. Panelling much altered c1900. Central room of
main range has, C18 fielded panelling to dado level, late C18
fireplace. North end room in cross-wing has shallow curved stone
seat in north wall.
House belonged to a holding referred to in 1340, held by Kington
family c1560-1766, passed to J. Shore, Leir family and in 1866 to
J.B.Fuller of Neston Park, restored for Sir J.M.F.Fuller (1864-
1914).
(H.Brakspear: Corsham n.d. 27; reprint Wilts. Arch. Mag. 43 511-
39.)


Listing NGR: ST8542668545

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.