History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block and Outbuildings to South West of the Grove stables at the Grove

A Grade II Listed Building in Corsham, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4309 / 51°25'51"N

Longitude: -2.1864 / 2°11'11"W

OS Eastings: 387138

OS Northings: 170224

OS Grid: ST871702

Mapcode National: GBR 1RH.62F

Mapcode Global: VH96J.19ZF

Entry Name: Stable Block and Outbuildings to South West of the Grove stables at the Grove

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Last Amended: 1 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022095

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315353

Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Corsham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Corsham

Listing Text

CORSHAM PICKWICK ROAD
ST 87 70
(south side)
5/325 Stable block and outbuildings
to south-west of The Grove
20.12.60 (formerly listed as stables
at The Grove)
GV II

Complex of outbuildings early to mid C18, rubble stone and ashlar
with stone tiled roofs. To left, early C18 stable, ashlar fronted
with hipped roof and timber stone-tiled lantern. Two storeys, 5-
window range with centre breaking forward, coved cornice, raked up
as pediment over centre, and parapet. Centre has rusticated arched
entry with impost blocks and keystone. Bullseye opening in open
base of pediment. To each side, 2-window range of 2-light windows
in architraves, leaded lights to upper windows. Ground floor has
rusticated doorway with voussoirs and key in place of outer window
each side. Double doors. Centre has large double doors with
radiating timber panelling to arch above. Rear has timber
cornice, 2 wallface stacks, 2 upper 2-light windows and one lower
2-light, all flush cyma-moulded. West end wall has oval opening.
Attached at south-west corner 2-storey range with hipped roof, 3
upper casements, ground floor elliptical archway and 6-pane window.
Rear has outside stair to upper door and 2 upper 2-light flush
cyma-moulded windows. Attached at south-west corner is barn with
coped east gable and C19 lean-to to front. To rear, inked by
walls, is range dated 1753 on south-east cornerstone, coped gables,
west end stack, east end chamfered doorcase with 2-light window
over and south side two 3-light windows. All windows flush cyma-
moulded. Moulded Tudor-arched west end fireplace.


Listing NGR: ST8712270209

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.