History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mansion House (Corsham Youth Centre)

A Grade II Listed Building in Corsham, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4312 / 51°25'52"N

Longitude: -2.1874 / 2°11'14"W

OS Eastings: 387065

OS Northings: 170260

OS Grid: ST870702

Mapcode National: GBR 1RG.CR4

Mapcode Global: VH96J.19F5

Entry Name: The Mansion House (Corsham Youth Centre)

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022096

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315355

Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Corsham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Corsham

Listing Text

CORSHAM PICKWICK ROAD
ST 87 70
(south side)
5/327
The Mansion House (Corsham
Youth Centre)
20.12.60 (Corsham Youth Centre with forecourt
walls Mansion House)
GV II

House, c1720 altered 1897 by H. Brakspear, ashlar with hipped
stone-tiled roof and 2 central ashlar stacks. Two storeys and
attic, 5-window range, square plan main house with formal north
front. Raised plinth, moulded cornice over ground floor, modillion
cornice and parapet with 5 short sections of balustrade.
Channelled quoin pilasters. Windows in architraves with fielded
apron panels, C19 plate-glass sashes. Central 8-panel double doors
in architrave with scrolled pediment on brackets. Semi-circular
steps up. Three dormers with alternating pediments. Similar
dormers to east and west side, east side has large projecting bay
dated 1897. Garden front appears largely C19 apart from quoin
pilasters and piers over. Arched doorway with carved arms and
dates 1721 and 1897. Attached to west is service wing in 3
sections, 'L'-plan. First range is early C18, 3-storey and attic
with coped west gable and end stacks, 3 hipped dormers and 6-window
range, originally of 2-light flush cyma-moulded mullion windows,
but 4 on first floor replaced by C19 twelve-pane sashes. Moulded
timber eaves, flush quoins and dripcourses. Ground floor has C19
glazed corridor in front with 2 ashlar porches, but original
details survive within. Second section, at right angles is single-
storey room with large bay window, dated 1900 on north stack.
Beyond is 2-storey, 4-window stable, dated RNS 1723 for R and S.
Neale. Coped gables, end stacks, door in ashlar surround with
cornice, ashlar carried up framing datestone and decorative keyed
oval upper window. Rubble stone each side, originally rendered,
one-window range to right, 2 to left, of 2-light mullion windows,
possibly C19. One window is in blocked elliptical arched opening.
Interior: much fine fielded panelling, including completely
panelled rooms to north-west on each floor, panelled hall arch and
paired arches on landing. Stair has surviving panelled dado and
carved brackets to treads but balustrade has been removed. North-
west rooms each floor have panelling, upper room with bolection-
moulded fireplace.


Listing NGR: ST8706570260

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.