This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4131 / 51°24'47"N
Longitude: -2.0915 / 2°5'29"W
OS Eastings: 393731
OS Northings: 168235
OS Grid: ST937682
Mapcode National: GBR 2T4.61Z
Mapcode Global: VH96K.PRN2
Entry Name: Bowden Park
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315442
Location: Lacock, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Lacock
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Lacock with Bowden Hill
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
LACOCK BOWDEN HILL
ST 96 NW
Country House, 1796 by James Wyatt for Barnard Dickinson, extended
c1850 for Capt. J.N. Gladstone, the C19 extensions reduced and
remodelled c1955 by K. Peacock. Ashlar neo-classical mansion with
low-pitched slate roofs and ashlar stacks. Two storeys, 5-window
front, 3 in full-height semi-circular bow fronted by massive
detached Ionic columns. Continuous entablature and low parapet.
Centre bow is raised on 5 stone steps, 3 ground floor French
windows in architraves, 3 first floor 12-pane sashes in architraves
with sill band. Wings each side are exceptionally well detailed
with broad corner piers and main walling slightly recessed.
Moulded plinth, moulded ground floor sill course, and plain first
floor sill band, broken forward at outer piers. Ground floor 6-
18-6 pane tripartite sash in segmental-headed sunk frame and first
floor finely carved foliage panel. Side elevations have similar
mouldings continued around, but frieze of entablature is omitted.
Five-window ranges of sashes in architraves. Cornices to long
ground floor sashes. C19 matching extension to right of south
side has 2-storey front and centre bow. Three-window range of
sashes, tripartite to centre. Projecting end section includes an
original ground floor with blank arch, part of an orangery, with
C19 upper floor with blank sunk panel and incised sundial. North
L-plan rear wing appears largely c1950 in matching style with door
in ornate corniced doorcase, possibly resited. Outstanding
interiors by Wyatt with complete original plasterwork, marble
fireplaces and mahogany doors.
Bowden Park was a late C17 house built for G. Johnson. Estate was
sold 1751 to E. Dickinson of Monks Park, Corsham, the house rebuilt
for his son (d 1814) and passed to the Dickinson Harmer family
before being sold in 1849 to Captain Gladstone (1807-63), brother
of W. E. Gladstone.
(Conoisseur, April 1961; New Vitruvius Britannicus (1819) Plate 1;
N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975, 120)
Listing NGR: ST9373168235
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings