History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lacock Primary School

A Grade II Listed Building in Lacock, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.415 / 51°24'53"N

Longitude: -2.1226 / 2°7'21"W

OS Eastings: 391571

OS Northings: 168447

OS Grid: ST915684

Mapcode National: GBR 1RR.B5P

Mapcode Global: VH96K.5P7N

Entry Name: Lacock Primary School

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022168

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315525

Location: Lacock, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Lacock

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Lacock with Bowden Hill

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Lacock

Listing Text

LACOCK HIGH STREET
ST 9168
(north side)
4/90 Lacock Primary School
20.12.60
GV II

School 1824, extended 1852 and 1869 by Pritchard (Pevsner).
Squared rubble stone with stone slate roofs. Original school has
symmetrical front of two 4-light Tudor-style mullion windows with
hood moulds flanked by Tudor style doors. Between windows, carved
stone Talbot arms with plaque beneath 'Erected by W.H.F. Talbot
Esqr 1824'. Left end addition is steeply roofed Perpendicular
Gothic style with far-projecting cross wing and short link with end
stack to original building. Coped gables, large Perpendicular
style 4-light south end window and east side stack. Lean-to
passage against east wall added 1911 by H. Brakspear. West side
wall has centre gable over 3-light windows, 2-light flat-headed
windows each side and heavy corbels to gutter.
Interior: fine mid C16 doorcase with cornices each side removed
from north-east chapel of Lacock Church in 1861 restoration.
School was founded by W.H. Fox-Talbot to mark his 21st birthday in
1821 and is said to have been enlarged in 1852 and 1871 (village
guide) or 1864 (Kelly's Directory and Pevsner), 1869 according to
school log-book.
(N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975, 290)


Listing NGR: ST9157168447

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.