This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4153 / 51°24'55"N
Longitude: -2.1234 / 2°7'24"W
OS Eastings: 391512
OS Northings: 168484
OS Grid: ST915684
Mapcode National: GBR 1RR.9YP
Mapcode Global: VH96K.4PSD
Entry Name: The George Inn
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022198
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315605
Location: Lacock, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Lacock
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Lacock with Bowden Hill
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
LACOCK WEST STREET
4/169 The George Inn
Inn, C16 or earlier, extended in early C19. Earlier part is
timber-frame and rubble stone with some brick and plaster. Stone
slate roof. Early C19 range is ashlar with low-pitched slate roof.
Two storeys. Left side cross wing has projecting end gable to the
street, chequered brick ground floor with thick glazing bar sash
window and plastered timber-frame with casement pair above. South
side wall is part rubble stone, part square-framed with red brick,
2 side-wall stacks. Two-storey rubble stone range beyond has one
ground floor 2-light chamfered recessed mullion window with
hoodmould. North side of cross wing has half-glazed door and
roughcast above. A short return section has north end stack, east
front roughcast first floor gable with 12-pane sash over rubble
stone ground floor with 3-light leaded timber-mullion window.
Rear has one 2-light mullion window. North side of cross wing has
2-light window with hoodmould. Two-storey rear addition has first
floor door between casements and ground floor pair of chamfered
recessed 2-light windows with hoodmoulds, door to left. Early C19
east front has roof hipped to south and north end stack, raised
plinth, band and eaves band. Door to left, one-window range of
16-pane sashes to right with small pedimental gable over Parallel
Interior: ground floor north room of original range has chamfered
timber lintel to fireplace and fire-irons turned by wooden
turnspit-wheel set into side wall. Said to be licensed in 1361.
Listing NGR: ST9151268484
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings