This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6157 / 51°36'56"N
Longitude: -2.0411 / 2°2'27"W
OS Eastings: 397250
OS Northings: 190759
OS Grid: ST972907
Mapcode National: GBR 2QP.LSK
Mapcode Global: VHB32.KNT9
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 28 October 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022241
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315706
Location: Hankerton, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Hankerton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Hankerton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 99 SE HANKERTON CHURCH LANE
3/84 Church of the Holy Cross
Anglican Parish Church. Late C12 (north arcade), late C13 (north
aisle), C15 (west tower) and 1903 (chancel). Squared and coursed
dressed stone to tower, coursed rubble to remainder with some
render, stone dressings, ashlar copings and stone slate roofs.
Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle, south porch. Nave south
side has one 2-light C15 window under flat head to left of porch,
two C15 windows to right: one 3-light under pointed head and one
2-light under flat head, both with hoodmoulds. North aisle has a
single 3-light Tudor-arched C15 window set in deep reveal to right
end and a blocked Caernarvon-arched doorway; 3-light Early English
east window. West tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses with
set-offs, moulded string courses, south-east corner stair turret
and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and gargoyles below.
Western buttresses at first stage have statue niches. West face
of tower has a 3-light C19 Perpendicular style window to first
stage and an oblong opening to second; 2-cusped-light bell
openings with pierced wooden panels to all faces. Chancel of 1903
(dated on gable end) with Perpendicular style 3-light east window.
Gabled south porch with multi-rolled pointed-arched entrance with
2-leaf plank doors and inner doorway with Ringerike style dragon
stops to hoodmould and C19 plank door; benches either side.
Interior: 4-bay north arcade with circular piers, moulded
capitals, circular abaci and double-chamfered round arches. Wagon
roof to nave, ribbed plaster vault to tower and further wagon roof
to north aisle. Low, narrow, chancel arch probably C13 giving
onto C20 chancel with barrel vault. Fittings: 1744 wall monument
to the Ludlow family on nave north wall by the tower, C15 octagonal
font with quatrefoil frieze by south door. Fine 1775 monument to
Miles Earle by Nollekens on west wall of north arcade: marble
tablet with an urn at the top.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST9725090759
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings