History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garsdon Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lea and Cleverton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5877 / 51°35'15"N

Longitude: -2.0541 / 2°3'14"W

OS Eastings: 396345

OS Northings: 187653

OS Grid: ST963876

Mapcode National: GBR 2R1.HGC

Mapcode Global: VHB38.BCX6

Entry Name: Garsdon Manor

Listing Date: 12 December 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022252

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315724

Location: Lea and Cleverton, Wiltshire, SN16

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Lea and Cleverton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Garsdon

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Charlton

Listing Text

ST 98 NE LEA & CLEVERTON GARSDON

6/102 Garsdon Manor

12.12.51

II*


Manor House. Late C14 open hall range to the west with early C17
addition restored post 1661 and further restoration and alterations
in the C19 and C20. Squared and coursed rubble with flush
rusticated dressed stone quoins, stone dressings and stone slate
roofs with tall paired ashlar stacks with moulded caps. Irregular
L-shaped plan with C14 core range projecting west to the rear of
C17 block. South front with 2-storey and attic, 2-window C14 hall
range to left (2 eastern bays masked) and advanced 3-storey, 3-
window C17 block. Windows to C14 range are 2-light C19 casements
under cambered heads; 2 hipped dormers. Windows to C17 block are
6-light ovolo-moulded cross-mullions. Circa 1840 doorway in west
end bay with 2 round-headed lights. Moulded string courses above
second and third storey windows, blocking course developing in each
bay to a gable; double-span roof. East front has range with 2-
light cavetto-moulded mullions with hood-moulds to upper floor
only.
Interior: C14 four-bay open hall (now divided) has original butt-
purlin, hammer-beam arched collar-truss roof structure with 4-way
kingposts and wind-braces. Great Parlour on first floor in C17
block has fine c1630 stone chimneypiece: coupled columned jambs
and carved over-mantel with strapwork and caryatids. Plaster
ceiling of the 1660s with moulded cornice and broad ribbed
strapwork with tree motifs; further identical plaster decoration
in first floor room to east. The manor was owned by Richard Moody
in the early C16, Sir Laurence Washington in the early C17 and
passed by marriage in 1661 to Sir William Pargiter whose rebus is
displayed in the pear-tree decoration to the great parlour ceiling
(partridge in a pear-tree).
(Aubrey & Jackson, Wiltshire Collections, 1862; June Badeni,
Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England:
Wiltshire, 1975)


Listing NGR: ST9634587653

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.