History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Almhouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Grittleton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5123 / 51°30'44"N

Longitude: -2.1673 / 2°10'2"W

OS Eastings: 388484

OS Northings: 179281

OS Grid: ST884792

Mapcode National: GBR 1QJ.4W1

Mapcode Global: VH964.D72Z

Entry Name: The Almhouses

Listing Date: 29 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022291

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315825

Location: Grittleton, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Grittleton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Grittleton and Leigh Delamere

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Stanton Saint Quintin

Listing Text

GRITTLETON LEIGH DELAMERE
ST 87 NE

7/14 Nos 1-8 (consec) The Almshouses

GV II

Row of almshouses, 1848 by James Thomson for Joseph Neeld of
Grittleton. Squared rubble stone with stone slate roofs and
clustered ashlar stacks, one group of four on each wing, two on
centre ridge. Two storeys. Long centre range with projecting
gabled wings each end. Tudor style with raised plinth, dripcourse
and 2-light stone mullion windows with hoodmoulds. Centre has 5-
window range, the upper windows under eaves-breaking shouldered
gables. Centre gable has blank shield plaque over 2-light with
small single light each side and ground floor heavy projecting open
porch with shouldered gable, shield and crest and depressed Tudor-
arched openings on three sides. Tudor-arched entry gives on to
spine passage with access to four almshouses. A low wall each side
of porch front connects to wings. Wings have door and first floor
2-light on inner sides, 2-step shouldered gables with ashlar
coping, shield plaques, first floor two light windows and ground
floor triangular bay windows to south end walls. Bay windows have
centre buttress and two Tudor-arched lights each side. Wings have
diagonal angle buttresses.
(Wiltshire Record Office, 1620/43 has original designs by Thomson
dated 1848, showing a front cloister on low front wall, not
actually built)


Listing NGR: ST8848479281

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.