History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Leigh Delamere House

A Grade II Listed Building in Grittleton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5121 / 51°30'43"N

Longitude: -2.1663 / 2°9'58"W

OS Eastings: 388553

OS Northings: 179259

OS Grid: ST885792

Mapcode National: GBR 1QJ.542

Mapcode Global: VH964.D8L4

Entry Name: Leigh Delamere House

Listing Date: 29 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022292

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315826

Location: Grittleton, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Grittleton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Grittleton and Leigh Delamere

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Stanton Saint Quintin

Listing Text

GRITTLETON LEIGH DELAMERE
ST 87 NE

7/15 Leigh Delamere House

GV II

Former rectory, 1846 by James Thomson for the Rev J.E. Jackson,
squared rubble stone with imitation stone slate eaves roof and tall
ashlar stacks. Two storeys, Tudor style. South front has 4-shaft
ridge stack, 2-shaft outside east end stack and two projecting
gables each side of narrow centre. Moulded plinth and dripcourse.
Mullion windows with hoodmoulds. Centre has double doors with
hoodmould and single casement above. Gables have first floor 3-
light mullion-and-transom window and ground floor projecting
mullion-and-transom windowed bays, square bay to left, canted bay
to right. Left gable projects slightly further than right. North
west rear wing has 2-shaft ridge stack, and, adjoining end gable of
front range, a 2-storey gabled porch bay with moulded doorway and
semi-circular ashlar 3-light oriel over. In porch two C19 plaques,
P.K. 1639 (for Rev P. Kingsman) and J.E.J. 1846. To left, single
light each floor, upper light under eaves-breaking gable, then
slightly set back, one window range of 2-light windows. Beyond is
single-storey service range with ridge stack and gable to centre of
west front. East front has slightly projected gable adjoining east
end of front range with square bay and 3-light mullion-and-transom
window over. Rear wing with 3-shaft stack on ridge and single
shaft north stack, 2-window range to east. The Rev J.E. Jackson
was rector 1845-91, author of 'A History of the Parish of
Grittleton' 1843, and editor of John Aubrey's 'Wiltshire
Collections' 1862.
(J. Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960, 101-3)


Listing NGR: ST8855379259

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.