History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Grittleton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5204 / 51°31'13"N

Longitude: -2.2444 / 2°14'39"W

OS Eastings: 383139

OS Northings: 180189

OS Grid: ST831801

Mapcode National: GBR 1Q7.PC6

Mapcode Global: VH963.11VT

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 29 February 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022294

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315832

Location: Grittleton, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Grittleton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Littleton Drew

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Acton Turville

Listing Text

GRITTLETON LITTLETON DREW
ST 88 SW (west side)

2/21 Church of All Saints

20.12.60

GV II*


Anglican Parish Church, C15 central tower, nave and chancel 1856 by
T.H. Wyatt. Squared rubble stone with stone slate roofs and coped
gables. Thin 3-stage tower with north stair projection up to bell
stage, dripcourses and flat-headed cusped 2-light bell-openings.
Embattled parapet. 1856 work is Perpendicular style with slight
variations in detail each side. Three-window nave with diagonal
west buttresses, 3-light pointed west window, gabled north porch
between flat-headed 2-light windows with hoodmoulds, and south side
buttresses between flat-headed single-light and two 2-lights.
South side vestry with west door attached to tower. Chancel has 3-
light pointed east window; 2-light flat-headed window each side and
one north side lancet.
Interior: plain with open timber roofs and stained glass 1856 east
window by C. and A. Gibbs. C13 circular font on moulded shaft with
spurs at foot. North wall recumbent C15 female effigy in wall
recess. Two fragments of carved C9 cross-shaft built into north
porch.
(N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1897, 301; M. Harrison, Victorian Stained
Glass, 1980, 77)


Listing NGR: ST8313980189

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.