History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former School and School House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Grittleton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5081 / 51°30'29"N

Longitude: -2.187 / 2°11'13"W

OS Eastings: 387116

OS Northings: 178814

OS Grid: ST871788

Mapcode National: GBR 1QH.KVC

Mapcode Global: VH964.1CN7

Entry Name: Former School and School House

Listing Date: 29 February 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022297

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315845

Location: Grittleton, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Grittleton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Grittleton and Leigh Delamere

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Grittleton

Listing Text

GRITTLETON SEVINGTON
ST 87 NE

7/34 Former School and School House

II*

School and school-teacher's house, 1848 by James Thomson for Joseph
Neeld of Grittleton, incorporating important C14 stonework from
Leigh Delamere Church (q.v.), then being rebuilt. Rubble stone
with ashlar dressings, stone slate roofs and coped gables. West
front gable carries the exceptional C14 bellcote of Leigh Delamere
Church, ashlar, square-plan set diagonally with massive corbels out
to west and east, pointed openings and row of five shafts at
angles, with carved capitals. Shafts to north and south extend
further down and have shaft-rings. Octagonal stone spire with
finial and raised circular plinths above angles of bell-stage.
Gable below has wave-moulded pointed open arch, former chancel
arch, and lancet panel over. Heavy buttresses each side. Within
porch, doorway to School House to north, C19 depressed pointed and
C14 moulded pointed centre door to schoolroom with fine C15 small
canopied niche with original carved Virgin and Child. C19
depressed pointed doorway to south. South wall has Perpendicular
4-light flat-headed window with cusped lights and hoodmould,
possibly also reused. Schoolroom within is outstanding example of
a very small village school of the mid C19 with original
furnishing, edge-grain wood-block floor and fireplace. The east
wall incorporates the C15 reredos from Leigh Delamere. Three
taller canopied niches, the canopies cut back, and 6 smaller niches
between, these with paired finials over each, shields between
finials and fleuron frieze above, between taller niches. On the
outside east wall is the blocked east window of the church, of 3
stepped lights with cusped heads. To north, School House has 2-
gable, 2-storey front with stack in valley, diagonal buttresses and
two 2-light windows each floor. One 2-light with cusped-head
lights on west side. The school opened April 1849, closed 1913,
and for the whole period had the same teacher.
(N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975, 467)


Listing NGR: ST8711678814

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.