History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Foscote House

A Grade II Listed Building in Grittleton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5089 / 51°30'32"N

Longitude: -2.2127 / 2°12'45"W

OS Eastings: 385332

OS Northings: 178911

OS Grid: ST853789

Mapcode National: GBR 1QG.CCT

Mapcode Global: VH963.LBLL

Entry Name: West Foscote House

Listing Date: 29 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022305

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315869

Location: Grittleton, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Grittleton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Grittleton and Leigh Delamere

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Grittleton

Listing Text

GRITTLETON WEST FOSCOTE

ST 87 NE

7/58 West Foscote House

GV II

Estate farmhouse, 1850 by J. Thomson for J. Neeld of Grittleton.
Squared rubble stone with barge boarded stone slate eaves roof and
ridge domed lantern. Two ridge stacks. Two storeys, 5-window
range. Flush quoins, moulded band and front of four principal
barge boarded gables and small centre gablet. Small-paned 2-light
long-mullion ground floor windows and centre door in open
triangular stone-slated porch with single column and arch each
side. First floor has small 2-light window over door and four
triangular oriels on curving brackets. Small-paned casements and
stone slate roofs. Centre lantern is ashlar with square base, the
front with circular sundial and plaque below inscribed 'Loyalty
ever is the same / Whether it win or lose the game / True as the
dial to the sun / Although it be not shin'd upon'. Above is bell-
stage gabled and with open shafted arch each face. Front has
shield inscribed I.N., rear shield marked 1850. Leaded dome with
vane. North east rear wing, half-hipped each end and with west
side lean-to. Rear of main range has a C20 extension, original 2-
light windows and one ground floor triangular bay. Attached range
of stalls behind are listed with Barn at West Foscote Farm (q.v.).
With West Sevington Farm (q.v.) and Lanhill Farm, Chippenham
Without C.P. one of the most elaborate of the estate farms of the
Grittleton estate.


Listing NGR: ST8533278911

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.