History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Saint Peter's Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Kington Langley, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4918 / 51°29'30"N

Longitude: -2.1082 / 2°6'29"W

OS Eastings: 392583

OS Northings: 176990

OS Grid: ST925769

Mapcode National: GBR 2S4.FTD

Mapcode Global: VH965.DRTR

Entry Name: Saint Peter's Cottages

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022314

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315882

Location: Kington Langley, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Kington Langley

Built-Up Area: Kington Langley

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Kington Langley and Draycot Cerne

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Sutton Benger

Listing Text

KINGTON LANGLEY CHURCH LANE
ST 97 NW (north side)

8/71 Nos 1 and 2 Saint Peter's
Cottages

20.12.60
II

Pair of houses, late C17, rubble stone with concrete plain tile
roof and brick end stacks. Two storeys and attic, 3-window range
of cyma-moulded 2-light recessed mullioned windows, the lower
windows originally alternating with doors in flush moulded
surrounds. Dripcourse over ground floor, stepped over doors. Near
symmetrical, but with minor inconsistencies that suggest that
building was in two phases: upper windows have hoodmoulds, but
left window has dripcourse, left side flush quoins are not full-
height, and ground floor left 2-light is not aligned with window
above. Right cottage has C20 alterations, a window replaces former
door and former central window has one light only surviving, modern
door inserted to right. Lean-to on east wall. Barrel-vaulted
cellar. John Aubrey recorded that the former chapel-of-ease at
Kington Langley had been converted to a house by 1670, and
traditionally these houses are on the church site, but there is no
clear evidence of medieval work.


Listing NGR: ST9258376990

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.