This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4926 / 51°29'33"N
Longitude: -2.1028 / 2°6'10"W
OS Eastings: 392956
OS Northings: 177077
OS Grid: ST929770
Mapcode National: GBR 2S4.96G
Mapcode Global: VH965.HRN4
Entry Name: The Greathouse
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022321
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315905
Location: Kington Langley, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Kington Langley
Built-Up Area: Kington Langley
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Kington Langley and Draycot Cerne
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
KINGTON LANGLEY SWINDON ROAD
ST 97 NW (east side)
8/95 The Greathouse
House, late C17, extended 1910, rubble stone with stone slate roofs
and tall ashlar stacks. Two storeys and attic, courtyard plan.
Fine formal nine-window west front with flush quoins, two
dripcourses, parapet and hipped roof with ridge stack set to left.
Windows are ovolo-moulded stone cross windows with leaded lights.
Central door in bolection-moulded surround with fine shell hood on
scroll brackets. Door is c1910 copy of original south side door.
South side has two ridge stacks, 2-window range to left of porch,
one-window range to right then long c1910 addition with two large
1:2:2:2:1-light canted bays. c1910 east gable. Porch is ashlar,
gabled with steep stone slate roof and moulded coping. Large
bolection-moulded entry with moulded cornice over. In gable
corniced sundial. Sides have moulded course over openings with
turned balusters. Moulded and stopped inner doorcase with 2-light
overlight and lattice-patterned plank door. East front is wholly
of 1907-10 with centre inscription recording work for C. Garnett
Esq. Formal E-plan 3-gabled front, the wings further advanced than
the centre, the gables with top and shoulder finials. Mullion and
mullion-and-transom windows, the centrepiece with pilastered
doorcase and segmental-pedimented cross window above in well-
detailed later C17 manner. Two ridge stacks. Simpler service wing
gable projects to right of main front. North side has seven window
range similar to west front with cross windows, an eighth bay added
to left c1910. Service wing runs parallel to left end.
Interiors: one fine fielded panelled room with dentilled cornice
and Baroque doorcase and fireplace, early C18 style, on south side,
now subdivided for entrance hall. West front entrance hall has
panelling, plaster frieze, plaster decoration to beams and ceiling
and moulded stone square-headed fireplace. All late C17 in style
but plasterwork probably early C20. Early C20 staircase. Upstairs
south-west room has bolection-moulded corner fireplace with shelf.
House is said to have been owned by the Coleman family (William
Coleman died 1738) from c1700, lords of the manor, who later moved
from there to the Manor House (q.v.) opposite when it became a
farmhouse until restored by Charles Garnett 1907-10. Now a Leonard
Cheshire Foundation Home.
(June Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960, 90)
Listing NGR: ST9295677077
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings