History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Upper Swinley Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Kington St. Michael, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5118 / 51°30'42"N

Longitude: -2.138 / 2°8'16"W

OS Eastings: 390521

OS Northings: 179211

OS Grid: ST905792

Mapcode National: GBR 1QL.09Q

Mapcode Global: VH964.W8LF

Entry Name: Upper Swinley Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022342

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315955

Location: Kington St. Michael, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Kington St. Michael

Civil Parish/community: Kington St Michael

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Kington St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Stanton Saint Quintin

Listing Text

KINGTON ST MICHAEL STANTON ROAD

ST 97 NW

8/142 Upper Swinley Farmhouse

GV II


Farmhouse, C17 origins, remodelled in later C18, rubble stone with
stone slate roof, hipped at north west angle, ashlar end stacks and
large front ridge stack with three diagonal shafts. Two storeys
and attic, L-plan with double-fronted east front of 3-light cyma-
moulded flush mullion windows of C18 type each side of door in
ashlar surround set in mid C19 porch with coped gable, arched front
entry and Tudor-arched side entries. Reset datestone WC 1639 in
gable. North front has one-window range of similar windows to left
and brick lean-to to right. South end wall has sundial in gable.
Parallel rear range with south stack. Interior not inspected.
From 1583 leased by Hungerford family to Coller family, sold to
them 1651. Sold to Rev G. Estcourt c1652 and house described as
newly built in 1664 at his death. In the C19 farm was part of the
Neeld of Grittleton estate.
(J. Badeni Wiltshire Forefathers 1960 94-5; Wiltshire Notes and
Queries 2 1899 351, 394)


Listing NGR: ST9052179211

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.