History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kilvert's Parsonage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Langley Burrell Without, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4733 / 51°28'23"N

Longitude: -2.1022 / 2°6'7"W

OS Eastings: 392996

OS Northings: 174927

OS Grid: ST929749

Mapcode National: GBR 2SB.HBY

Mapcode Global: VH96C.J70F

Entry Name: Kilvert's Parsonage

Listing Date: 22 December 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022357

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315987

Location: Langley Burrell Without, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Langley Burrell Without

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul, Chippenham with Langley Burrell

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Tytherton Lucas

Listing Text

LANGLEY BURRELL SWINDON ROAD
ST 97 SW WITHOUT (east side)

10/174 Kilvert's Parsonage

22.12.78
II *


House, 1739 for Adam Tuck, possibly on earlier core, enlarged
c1840. Squared rubble stone with ashlar dressings to west front,
roughcast side walls, stone slate hipped roof to front with rear
stacks. Fine formal 2-storey, 3-window west front with slight
centre break and ashlar pediment. Ashlar plinth, sill courses to
each floor, bands over window heads, the upper band under moulded
eaves cornice. Centre break has flush quoins, outer angles have
raised ashlar piers. Twelve-pane sashes each side in architraves,
arched-headed centre window in architrave with moulded imposts and
centre 6-panel door with fanlight in bolection moulded surround
interrupted for heavy impost blocks and keystone, said to be dated
1739, date obscured. Door is set in shallow Tuscan porch of two
columns with pilaster responds and flat entablature. Roughcast
south side has 3-window range of 12-pane sashes in architraves and
one hipped dormer. Roughcast north side has side-wall stack and 3-
storey elevation of various sashes. A single storey outbuilding
runs east and connects at right angles with a stable and coach
house with half-hipped roof, door window and cambered-head coach
entry. Said to have panelled interior with enriched mouldings,
panelled stair hall, stairs with three balusters per tread, one in
three twisted. House was purchased as Rectory for Langley Burrell
by Squire Ashe in 1855, when he demolished the C18 rectory by the
church. The Rev Robert Kilvert (died 1882) was rector from 1855
and his son Francis (born 1840) was brought up here and lived here
as his father's curate during the period covered in his diaries.
In neglect and overgrown with ivy at time of survey (November
1986).
(W. Plomer ed Kilver's Diary 1969; K.R. Clew Kilvert's Langley
Burrell 1981)


Listing NGR: ST9299674927

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.