History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Luckington Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Luckington, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5553 / 51°33'18"N

Longitude: -2.2368 / 2°14'12"W

OS Eastings: 383680

OS Northings: 184069

OS Grid: ST836840

Mapcode National: GBR 1PV.K92

Mapcode Global: VH95X.55VK

Entry Name: Luckington Court

Listing Date: 12 December 1951

Last Amended: 29 February 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022373

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316026

Location: Luckington, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Luckington

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Luckington

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Luckington

Listing Text

LUCKINGTON CHURCH ROAD
ST 88 SW (North side)

2/213 Luckington Court (formerly listed
as Luckington Court Farmhouse)
12.12.51

GV II*


House, c1700, for H. Fitzherbert, on C16 or earlier core, restored
1921 by Easton & Robertson for E. Johnson-Ferguson. Colourwashed
roughcast on rubble stone with stone slate roofs and ashlar stacks.
Two storeys. Principal range is L-plan with facade to east and
south, c1700, the south probably refacing earlier work, which is
more apparent in the north west service range. Five window east
front with hipped roof, moulded coping to parapet and corner urns.
Eighteen-pane thick-glazing-bar sashes in ovolo-moulded stone
surrounds. Two lead downpipes. 1921 central door, Grinling
Gibbons style carved wood surround and fielded panelled double
doors set in ashlar semi-circular Roman Doric porch with two
columns and pilaster responds. Doors and surround are said to be
re-used. Similar 4-window south front with 4-shaft ridge stack
and 2-shaft west end stack, the window bays not evenly spaced.
Slightly set-back 1921 west end matching additional bay with
projecting ground floor 3-bay loggia. North end of east front has
similar 18-pane upper window and ground floor c1921 lean-to. To
right, part of original range is visible with ridge stack and west
end stack, north gable over 2-light mullion-and-transom ovolo-
moulded mullion window each floor. To right, 1921 service wing
running north.
Interior: bolection-moulded hall fireplace. Two panelled c1700
rooms on south side with bolection-moulded fireplaces, the
fireplace in south east room apparently an earlier, possibly early
C16, opening. Enclosed stair with panelled dado and turned
balusters to landing. Mullion and transom stair-light of original
house is now internal and upper part of spiral staircase remains.
Said to be on the site of a manor owned by King Harold before 1066.
Owned by the Fitzherbert family from C17 to early C19.
(The Field, 24 November 1984).


Listing NGR: ST8368084069

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.