History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sutton Benger, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5074 / 51°30'26"N

Longitude: -2.0775 / 2°4'38"W

OS Eastings: 394720

OS Northings: 178722

OS Grid: ST947787

Mapcode National: GBR 2RZ.HKV

Mapcode Global: VH965.YC3R

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022403

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316100

Location: Sutton Benger, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Sutton Benger

Built-Up Area: Sutton Benger

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton Benger

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Sutton Benger

Listing Text

SUTTON BENGER HIGH STREET
ST 9478 (north side)

12/272 Church of All Saints

20.12.60

GV II*


Anglican parish church, C12 origins, C14 and C15, heavily restored
1851 by J.H. Hakewill. Rubble stone with stone slate roofs and
coped gables. West tower, nave, south aisle, south porch and
chancel. C15 west tower has pointed west door, renewed 3-light
west window, canopied niche over, diagonal buttresses, moulded
dripcourses, flat-headed 2-light bell openings with pierced stone
panels, panelled embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and centre
bell-spirelet, openwork with crockets. Nave has ashlar 3-window
C15 north wall with buttresses, moulded plinth and large
Perpendicular flat-headed 3-light windows, possibly originally a
north aisle. Small circular east window. South aisle has
remarkable C14 Decorated detail. Sill course and massive ball
flower eaves cornice carried around west end as hoodmould over 3-
light west window with reticulated tracery. Three bay south side
with stepped buttresses, moulded sill course and dripcourse,
mouldings carried around buttresses and projecting ashlar south
porch, dripcourse raised as hoodmould over 2-light pointed window
each side of porch. Porch has moulded pointed arch with ogee
headed niche over, three flat-headed cusped 2-light side windows
with buttresses between, moulded sill course and eaves cornice.
Ball flower cornice is not continued to right of porch. Right 2-
light window has cusped lights and octofoil head. Exceptional
pointed east window with reticulated tracery all ball flower
ornamented and cusped. Blank bottom panel of middle light is
ornamented with a miniature scheme of the window between buttress
shafts. Very large pig gargoyle to right, between nave and aisle
roofs. 1851 chancel with ball flower eaves cornice, south side
lancet, buttress, door and 2-light window, east end 3-light with
flamboyant tracery and north side gabled vestry and lancet.
Interior: porch has transverse stone arches on wall shafts. Stone
slab roof. Moulded pointed doorway with C19 door. Aisle has
double-purlin roof with collar trusses, possibly original, nave has
broad 1851 four-bay windbraced roof. Moulded tower arch, 1851
five-bay arcade of circular piers and 2-step pointed arches, the
west arch springing from green-man carved corbel, of remarkable
size and quality, possibly C19 but said to be original. Aisle has
circular scalloped Norman font and fine canopied niche with
buttress shafts in middle light of east window. Mutilated niche in
wall to right. C19 chancel arch, scissor-truss chancel roof and
encaustic-tiled sanctuary with c1851 stalls. Stained glass: deep
coloured 1851 east window, pictorial style, one chancel south
window of 1862. Nave north windows with, from east, patterned
quarries of c1860, good C14 style glass of c1862 and good deep
coloured window of 1864 signed Charles Gibbs. Nave east roundel
has glass of c1860.
(N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975, 502-3)


Listing NGR: ST9472078722

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.