This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4675 / 51°28'3"N
Longitude: -2.0782 / 2°4'41"W
OS Eastings: 394664
OS Northings: 174288
OS Grid: ST946742
Mapcode National: GBR 2SC.WZL
Mapcode Global: VH96C.XCPT
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 25 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022442
English Heritage Legacy ID: 316198
Location: Bremhill, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Bremhill
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
BREMHILL TYTHERTON LUCAS
ST 97 SW
7/74 Church of St Nicholas
Anglican parish church, C13 rebuilt 1802 and mid C19, rubble stone
original masonry, squared rubble stone to later work, stone slate
roofs with coped gables. Nave, chancel, north aisle. Paired west
gables of square rubble stone with plinth. Nave has small bellcote
and 3-light window with Tudor-arched heads to lights, possibly C16,
aisle has larger bellcote and 2-light Y-traceried window of C13
type with hoodmould, possibly original. Aisle north wall is also
of squared rubble but moulded trefoil-cusped doorway seems
original, as also Y-traceried 2-light to left. East wall of aisle
has original masonry and 3-light window with intersecting tracery.
Gable has crocketed saddlestone. Nave south wall is rebuilt with
plinth and two 2-light flat-headed C16 style windows. East end
saddlestone and finial to gable. Chancel has original masonry to
south, three C19 lancets, one over blocked low door, rebuilt east
wall with basket-arched window and hood, possibly C15 with C19
tracery. North wall has old masonry and three C19 lancets.
Interior: plastered nave and aisle roofs with large coves each
side, thin 3-bay arcade of round chamfered arches on slim octagonal
piers with sparse still-leaf to caps, C13, heavily restored. C19
chancel arch, pointed on heavy chamfered piers. Tri-lobe opening
in wall to left. Chancel has plain C19 roof. Fittings: fine
c1200 tub-shaped font with raised arcading, band of gables over and
fluting below. In north aisle good wall monument to Abjohn Stokes,
died 1725 and plaque to T. Crook, died 1821, recording that he had
church rebuilt in 1802. Aisle east window has glass of c1915 by
Mayer of Munich. Nave has west window of c1893 and south wall
plaque to L. Crook died 1822, with urn. Chancel has north wall
plaque to H. Barret died 1627 and east wall plaque to A. Jacob died
1653. two lancets have stained glass of 1869.
(N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975 541)
Listing NGR: ST9466474288
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings