History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Cherhill, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4316 / 51°25'53"N

Longitude: -1.9464 / 1°56'47"W

OS Eastings: 403822

OS Northings: 170284

OS Grid: SU038702

Mapcode National: GBR 3VG.0R0

Mapcode Global: VHB43.68WX

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022458

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316234

Location: Cherhill, Wiltshire, SN11

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Cherhill

Built-Up Area: Cherhill

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Cherhill St James the Great

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Compton Bassett

Listing Text

CHERHILL THE STREET
SU 07 SW
(north side)
9/110 The Manor House
20.12.60
GV II
House, C17 and C19, rubble stone with slate roof, coped gables, end
stacks and ridge stack. Two storeys and attic. Three window range
to left appears mid C19 with leaded mullion windows and hoodmoulds,
three-light windows each side, 2-light to centre over door in
ornate Gothic porch, with ogee timber arch and ashlar cusped narrow
sidelights. Similar to porch at Hayle Farm, Quemerford, Calne
Without C.P. Original range is to right with leaded hollow-moulded
recessed mullion windows and hoodmoulds, one 4-light above, two 3-
lights below. East end wall has first floor single lights and
projecting chimney. Rear wing with taller roof, stone slated, and
one-window range of 2-light recessed chamfered mullion windows to
left, straight joint and, to right, eaves casement and ground level
casement pair. Formerly known as Manor Farmhouse. The house is
said to be the wing of a much larger building. The great Cherhill
Tithe Barn, demolished 1956 was part of the farm and stood south of
the church. J. Buckler drawing of church in 1806 shows large gable
on Manor House.
(J.H. Blackford, The Manor and Village of Cherhill, 1941 2, 188-
93)


Listing NGR: SU0382270284

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.