History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Street Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Somerford, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5421 / 51°32'31"N

Longitude: -2.0611 / 2°3'39"W

OS Eastings: 395859

OS Northings: 182583

OS Grid: ST958825

Mapcode National: GBR 2RM.7QB

Mapcode Global: VHB3G.7H7N

Entry Name: West Street Farmhouse

Listing Date: 25 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022519

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316347

Location: Great Somerford, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Great Somerford

Built-Up Area: Great Somerford

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Great Somerford

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Great Somerford

Listing Text

GREAT SOMERFORD WEST STREET
ST 98 SE
3/221 West Street Farmhouse
II
Farmhouse, late C17 on earlier core, part rubble stone, part ashlar
fronted, with stone slate roof, end stacks and ridge stack between
two sections. Two storeys and attic. Three-window left section is
ashlar fronted with cyma-moulded recessed mullion windows and
hoodmoulds, 3-light each side, 2-light to centre over former door,
now C20 window, with hoodmould. Ground floor right window has
mullions removed for C20 window. Incorporated into the walling
are bands of C12 chevron moulding and six carved plaques, five
floral roundels and one shield with rampant lion, said to be
Mompesson arms. West end outside stack and evidence of an earlier
roof. Section to right is rubble stone with similar two-light and
three-light above, with hoodmoulds, and two C20 ground floor
windows with original hoodmoulds each side of door in flush moulded
surround set in C19 picturesque timber-framed and roughcast porch.
North east rear wing, roughcast with stone slate roof. House was
known as Cockerells or Cottrills in C17. Bought by W. Alexander
1687, who probably rebuilt the house before his death in 1724.
(Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine, 31 1901 283).


Listing NGR: ST9585982583

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.