History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cottage, Hilmarton Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Hilmarton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4732 / 51°28'23"N

Longitude: -1.9785 / 1°58'42"W

OS Eastings: 401588

OS Northings: 174913

OS Grid: SU015749

Mapcode National: GBR 2SH.QKK

Mapcode Global: VHB3W.N7DH

Entry Name: The Cottage, Hilmarton Lodge

Listing Date: 25 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022522

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316356

Location: Hilmarton, Wiltshire, SN11

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Hilmarton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Hilmarton St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Hilmarton

Listing Text

HILMARTON CALNE ROAD
SU 07 SW
(west side)
9/229 The Cottage, Hilmarton
Lodge
II
Estate cottage, c1850 by H. Weaver for T. Poynder, squared rubble
stone with Bridgwater tile eaves roof and decorative barge boards
with turned pendants. 1 1/2 storeys, cross plan. East front has 2-
light mullion-and-transom window with hoodmould each side of centre
projecting gable which has Tudor-arched door with hoodmould and
single light with hoodmould above. Tudor-arched inner door. Side-
wall lancets. South end gable has 2-light above and mullion-and-
transom 3-light below, both with hoodmoulds. Large 2-shaft stack
in angle to rear wing, which has end stack, red brick west and
north walls, stone south wall with upper eaves-breaking casement
pair and ground floor triple casement. Plan is based on Plate 2 in
H. Weaver Hints on Cottage Architecture 1848 for a cottage on
Chilvester Hill, Calne, built for Lord Crewe by Weaver in 1844.


Listing NGR: SU0158874913

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.