History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2353 / 52°14'7"N

Longitude: 0.6952 / 0°41'42"E

OS Eastings: 584140

OS Northings: 263099

OS Grid: TL841630

Mapcode National: GBR QDZ.W0B

Mapcode Global: VHKDB.02CR

Entry Name: West Mill

Listing Date: 12 July 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022554

English Heritage Legacy ID: 466924

Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

Civil Parish/community: Bury St Edmunds

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bury Saint Edmunds

Listing Text


BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL86SW HORRINGER ROAD
639-1/13/450 (South side)
12/07/72 West Mill

GV II

House and attached steam mill. Early C19, with late C19
extensions to house. The house is timber-framed and rendered
with a double-gabled slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Pierced and shaped bargeboards to the
shallow gables and to a small single-storey extension on the
left of the front, all with pendants terminating in open
lanterns. 4 window range: 9-pane sashes in flush cased frames.
Various windows to the ground storey: 2 sashes with a single
vertical bar to lights, one inserted flat-roofed canted
3-light bay, and one late C20 window with plate glass. A
half-glazed entrance door with a C19 latticed timber porch.
The entrance door was formerly on the north side, but was
moved when the house was extended on the north west.
The Mill, now disused, is dated 1846. In red brick with a
slate roof. 3 storeys; L-shaped form with a projecting gabled
wing which has a small-paned fixed window to each storey, the
top one blocked, and a roundel in the gable inscribed W+O
1846. Entrance door, with another door above it, in the
splayed north-east angle.

Listing NGR: TL8414063099

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.