This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2444 / 52°14'39"N
Longitude: 0.7068 / 0°42'24"E
OS Eastings: 584897
OS Northings: 264143
OS Grid: TL848641
Mapcode National: GBR QDZ.CHQ
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.6VJ9
Entry Name: Numbers 28-33 and Attached Walls
Listing Date: 30 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022571
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466941
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St. Edmunds
Civil Parish/community: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8464SE KING'S ROAD
639-1/6/461 (South side)
and attached walls
Part of the former barracks of the West Suffolk Militia
Regiment, now all converted to houses or flats late C20.
1857/8. By RM Phipson, in partnership with G Morgan. In dark
red brick with blue headers and lighter red brick dressings.
Fully hipped slate roofs with wide eaves soffits. Elizabethan
PLAN: in 2 sections, probably single-depth to the left and
double-depth to the right.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 8- and 11-window ranges. Nos 28 and 29
each have 2 paired casement windows to the 1st storey in deep
moulded brick reveals. 2 canted bays with slate roofs to the
ground storey have similar paired windows. Stone sill bands
run below all the windows. The entrance doors are flanked by
single-light windows, all in deep recesses.
The higher central section, containing Nos 30 to 33, is the
surviving building of a pair which included the armoury, guard
room and orderly room. It has a high ground storey with wide
plain pilasters at the angles and an upper storey above a
brick dentil course. A brick dentil course also below the
moulded sprockets of the eaves soffit. Central tripartite
windows on each storey have shallow pointed arches to the
surrounds. 2 similar paired windows to the upper storey. 2
matching doors with high pointed surrounds and rectangular
fanlights to the ground storey.
To the left of this block a lower section has paired casements
to each storey in the same style. Various high sawtooth
chimney-stacks, each with a row of tall terracotta pots.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Low red brick boundary walls along the frontage have stone
coping and higher dividing pillars with conical stone caps.
HISTORY: the 1853 Militia Act required each county to provide
NCO accommodation and a secure store for arms. These houses
may be part of the former. An unusual design, which forms part
of a group with the adjoining Nos 37-39 (qv).
(Harrod's Directory of Suffolk 1864: IPSWICH: 1864-: 71; Brown
C, Haward B & Kindred R: Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk
Buildings 1800-1914: Ipswich: 1991-: 158).
Listing NGR: TL8489764143
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings