History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cross of St Paulinus in Garden of Burnley College Adult Education Centre

A Grade II Listed Building in Burnley, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7938 / 53°47'37"N

Longitude: -2.2408 / 2°14'26"W

OS Eastings: 384235

OS Northings: 433080

OS Grid: SD842330

Mapcode National: GBR DSSK.PR

Mapcode Global: WHB7X.KW5Z

Entry Name: Cross of St Paulinus in Garden of Burnley College Adult Education Centre

Listing Date: 10 November 1951

Last Amended: 19 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022617

English Heritage Legacy ID: 466987

Location: Burnley, Lancashire, BB11

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley

Town: Burnley

District Council Ward: Daneshouse with Stoneyholme

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Burnley St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Burnley

Listing Text


BURNLEY

SD8433SW BANK PARADE
906-1/10/11 (East side)
10/11/51 Cross of St Paulinus in garden of
Burnley College Adult Education
Centre
(Formerly Listed as:
BANK PARADE
(East side)
Cross of St Paulinus in the grounds
of Old Grammar School)

GV II

Formerly known as: Cross of St Paulinus, near junction of Bank
Parade and Church Street BANK PARADE.
Market cross. Probably erected c1295 in former market place to
east of Church of St Peter; removed to Godley Lane c1617, and
thence to this site in 1881. Roughly-hewn millstone grit
monolith on low chamfered square base. Rectangular in section
and approximately 3m high, tapering towards a mutilated
wheel-head top which has a small raised hemisphere in the
centre of each face but now lacks the horizontal spokes and
the outer ring (only the stumps remaining). Although mutilated
and ex situ, a rare and important survival in this county.


Listing NGR: SD8423533080

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.