This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7885 / 53°47'18"N
Longitude: -2.2407 / 2°14'26"W
OS Eastings: 384240
OS Northings: 432491
OS Grid: SD842324
Mapcode National: GBR DSSM.PN
Mapcode Global: WHB83.K17H
Entry Name: Jireh Baptist Church
Listing Date: 2 August 1995
Last Amended: 19 November 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022632
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467003
Location: Burnley, Lancashire, BB11
District Council Ward: Daneshouse with Stoneyholme
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Burnley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD8432SW BOOT WAY
906-1/20/23 (North side)
02/08/95 Jireh Baptist Church
(Formerly Listed as:
Baptist chapel. Dated 1853 over doorway; altered. Coursed
rock-faced sandstone rubble, slate roof. Small rectangular
building at right-angles to the street.
Single storey, a 2-window gabled facade, symmetrical, with a
plinth and a pedimental gable; a tall central doorway with
altered double doors (up one step) and a plain overlight, and
a plain surround with a moulded cornice on large fluted
consoles; a rectangular plaque above the doorway inscribed:
JIREH/ ERECTED A.D./ MDCCCLIII
tall segmental-headed windows which have eared architraves and
altered glazing; and in the pediment an octagonal stone plaque
with radial openings (ventilator). The left return side has 2
tall square-headed windows with altered glazing.
INTERIOR not accessible, but reported by estate agent to be
just a shell.
HISTORY: built by the Strict and Particular Baptists or
Gadsbyites, a sect found only in this area.
Listing NGR: SD8424032491
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings