History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Box Primary School and School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Box, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.416 / 51°24'57"N

Longitude: -2.2517 / 2°15'6"W

OS Eastings: 382591

OS Northings: 168585

OS Grid: ST825685

Mapcode National: GBR 1RL.1KD

Mapcode Global: VH96G.XNGV

Entry Name: Box Primary School and School House

Listing Date: 24 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022784

English Heritage Legacy ID: 317020

Location: Box, Wiltshire, SN13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Box

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Box

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Box

Listing Text

ST 8268 BOX HIGH STREET
(north side)


3/157 Box Primary School and
School House


II


Primary School, 1874-5 by J. Hicks of Redruth, extended 1894, small
ashlar block banded in rock-faced rubble stone with Bridgwater
tiled roofs and crested ridge tiles. Single storey long school
range with 2-storey house at east end. Gothic style. Near
symmetrical main front of 2 projecting wings with coped gables,
crocketted near apex, flanking recessed centre with smaller,
slightly projected central gable. Central gable has 3-light window
in pointed frame, lights with ogee heads, wings have similar window
flanked by ogee-headed single lights. Voussoirs alternate ashlar
and rock-faced blocks. To left of centre gable C20 main door, to
right, 2-light flat-headed window and pointed-arched doorway with
Y-tracery overlight, inscribed 'Girls and Infants' on lintel. Left
wing is extended to left with similar doorway inscribed 'Boys
Entrance' at base of a thin ashlar clock tower rising to a gabled
clock face with clasping square pinnacles and ashlar pyramid roof
with 2 finials. Extension to left with 2-light flat-headed window
and west gable. Taller gabled parallel wing behind. At right end,
School House, with pointed arched door and window over to left of 2
storey canted bay with steep hipped roof carried through as cross
wing to coped north gable.


Listing NGR: ST8259168585

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.