History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pool Farmhouse and Attached Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Biddestone, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4602 / 51°27'36"N

Longitude: -2.1975 / 2°11'50"W

OS Eastings: 386377

OS Northings: 173486

OS Grid: ST863734

Mapcode National: GBR 1R2.H7Q

Mapcode Global: VH969.VKNG

Entry Name: Pool Farmhouse and Attached Outbuildings

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Last Amended: 9 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1022837

English Heritage Legacy ID: 317139

Location: Biddestone, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Biddestone

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: By Brook

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Slaughterford

Listing Text

BIDDESTONE THE GREEN
ST 8673
(north side)
9/49 Pool Farmhouse and attached
Outbuildings (Formerly listed as
20.12.60
Pool Farmhouse)

GV II

Farmhouse, mid to late C17, rubble stone with stone tiled roofs,
moulded coping and ball finials to gables. 'L'-plan, 2-and-a-half
storeys. Original range has large north gable with flush quoins
and renewed ovolo-moulded stone-mullion windows with hoodmoulds,
relieving arches to main floors. 2-light attic window, 3-light
first floor window and 4-light ground floor window. One 2-light
upper window on east side and projecting gabled stair tower with
blocked arched doorway and oval light above to north front and on
east side a 4-light mullion and transom window, the lower lights
renewed, hoodmould over and single light in gable. Large stack
corbelled out at first floor on west side and 2 renewed 2-light
mullion windows. Rear range has large east end outside stack and
small west end stack. North front has 2-window range of renewed
mullion windows, 3-light and 2-light above, 2-light with hood and
door in C20 Tudor arched surround below. 2-light window to left of
chimney in east end wall. South front has 2 hipped dormers, 3
ovolo-moulded first floor windows and, to ground floor, from right,
a 3-light with hoodmould, a 2-light with hoodmould, a single light,
a 2-light and a 3-light window. Some original window surrounds,
some renewed. Range of outbuildings running south, the first with
half-hipped south gable and stack, door with hood on brackets and
3-light window to east side, then lower range with 4-bay open
timber loggia, former stores and stable, and, at south end, a
taller building with half-hipped gables, now garage.
Interior largely renewed with stone fireplaces of late C17 type,
Tudor arched with stopped mouldings to rear range and moulded
rectangular surround to front range. Front range has blocked Tudor
arched doorway between stair tower and front room. A fireback
dated 1680 was found under east end fireplace. The house was much
restored in 1938.


Listing NGR: ST8637273483

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.