This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.475 / 51°28'29"N
Longitude: -2.1524 / 2°9'8"W
OS Eastings: 389512
OS Northings: 175124
OS Grid: ST895751
Mapcode National: GBR 1QY.GN6
Mapcode Global: VH96B.M6Z3
Entry Name: Barn to North West of Allington Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 317293
Location: Chippenham Without, Wiltshire, SN14
Civil Parish: Chippenham Without
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: St Paul, Chippenham with Langley Burrell
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
CHIPPENHAM WITHOUT ALLINGTON
ST 87 NE
Barn to north west of
Allington Manor Farmhouse
Barn, C18 reconstruction of c1600 manor house fragment, rubble
stone with corrugated sheet half-hipped roof and projecting opposed
cart entries, half-hipped to south and lean-to to north. The west
end, much of the north wall and part of the south wall are of c1600
origin with fragments of moulded plinth, moulded dripcourses to
west and north walls and large blocked 6-light recessed hollow-
chamfer-moulded mullion and transom window to north wall. South
wall, right side has moulded arched doorway, formerly with door
dated 1612 now reused in Allington Manor Farmhouse (q.v.), narrow
recessed chamfer-moulded light to left and broader similar light
above, part blocked. Manor House was built for Sir Gilbert Prynne.
At south west corner a lean-to stable returned to south as 10-bay
range of stalls with circular piers, an addition of c1840-50 for.
the Grittleton estate.
Listing NGR: ST8951275124
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings