This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4968 / 51°29'48"N
Longitude: -2.2709 / 2°16'15"W
OS Eastings: 381288
OS Northings: 177569
OS Grid: ST812775
Mapcode National: GBR 0P8.2PF
Mapcode Global: VH962.LM9Y
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022974
English Heritage Legacy ID: 317476
Location: Nettleton, Wiltshire, SN14
Civil Parish: Nettleton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: West Kington
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
NETTLETON WEST KINGTON
ST 87 NW
2/385 Church of St. Mary
Anglican Parish Church, C13 and C15 West tower, otherwise rebuilt
1856 by S. B. Gabriel of Bristol. Rubble stone with stone tiled
roofs. Fine 3 stage tower with top stage similar to those at
Yatton Keynell and Burton (Nettleton). South stair projection up
to 2nd stage. 2-light Y-tracery west window to first stage, small
single light cusped openings to second stage and ashlar C15 top
stage with panelled sides, 3 panels each of 2 tiers of paired
cusped panels, the upper centre pair a 2-light bell-opening with
pierced stone screens. High panelled battlements and crocketted
pinnacles. Body of church has nave and transepts of equal size,
narrower chancel, south porch and north east vestry. Windows of
Decorated type, generally 2-light with quatrefoil, some 3-light all
with hoods. Buttresses at angles. South doorway is reused C13
with circular shafts, square abaci and imposts with interlace
decoration and chamfered pointed arch.
Interior broad, aisleless with wide scissor-braced rafter roofs.
Tower arch has dogtooth ornament. Elaborate east window with
Purbeck shafting and painted texts to chancel walls. Stained glass
of c1856 by Bell of Bristol to east window, chancel north and south
and to west window. Fine C15 Perpendicular style wood pulpit with
ogee arches to panels. In south transept reset C16 wall monument
with relief figures to A. P. (probably Anne Prator). Various
tablets, mostly early C19 reset in tower.
Bishop Hugh Latimer(c1490-1555) was rector from 1531.
Listing NGR: ST8128877569
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings