This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6483 / 51°38'53"N
Longitude: -1.9411 / 1°56'28"W
OS Eastings: 404170
OS Northings: 194393
OS Grid: SU041943
Mapcode National: GBR 3RR.N2C
Mapcode Global: VHB2Y.9TNS
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 17 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023045
English Heritage Legacy ID: 317653
Location: Ashton Keynes, Wiltshire, SN6
Civil Parish: Ashton Keynes
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Ashton Keynes
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
SU 09 SW ASHTON KEYNES -
10/1 Church of the Holy Cross
Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15 and 1876-7 by William
Butterfield. Coursed limestone rubble. Stone slate roofs. Nave
of later C12 with aisles and chancel. Aisles remodelled C14 with
C15 alterations. C14 west tower. North and south porches of C15,
gabled with hollow chamfered arches and hoodmould, and brattished
plates and panelled wood vault with moulded ribs. C15 square
headed south door. Aisles with 2-light quatrefoil headed windows,
but east window on south side C15 or C16 restored C19. Chancel C12
north wall pierced with early C13 arches, now enclosed in early C13
chapel with trefoiled triple lancets and priest's door. East
windows to chancel and chapel C19. Quatrefoil clerestorey windows
to nave. Three-stage tower with 2-light bell openings and
machicolated parapet. Five-light west window. Bench mark 290.3ft.
Interior: Nave of 4 bays. North arcade in 2 sections, 2 arches to
east probably late C12 on octagonal column and leaf capitals. Two
western arches with round columns and responds and circular abaci,
c1200. South arcade early C13, hollow chamfered arches on round
columns and abaci. Roof C15, of 5½ bays with moulded and painted
ties and trussed collar rafters. Chancel arch late C12 rebuilt
wider 1876-7, two orders of chevrons on slender responds with
shafts and water holding bases. Chancel of 2 bays with painted
barrel vault and brick wall decoration, all 1876-7 by Butterfield.
North chapel has 3 pilaster buttresses of original chancel and 2
piscinae with credence shelves.
Fittings: Tub font, C12 with chevron and upturned palmette
decoration, reset in C19. Oak pulpit also C19.
Monuments: North Aisle: Over east wall, probably C14 reredos
reset, central vesica with flanking gabled niches and brackets for
figures, all in moulded recess. Relief figures in spandrels. Two
wall tablets, early C19 white marble on slate. To SARAH MASKELYNE
and family, 1837 by Franklin of Purton, and MAURICE MASKELYNE
Bennett, died 1800, also by Franklin. At west end of aisle,
dismembered fragments of a C17 monument with crest, arms, cherubs
etc. South aisle: Tablet, 1778 of white marble, to CHARLOTTE
NICHOLAS and husband, daughter of Sir Thomas Frankland, Admiral of
the White, by Flaxman. Relief over recording deathbed scene.
Tablet, 1911 of white marble, to JOHN BOWLEY recording bequests.
Glass: Some C15 or C16 pieces in head of south aisle eastern
window. Brass, in chancel, 1658 to 3 generations called HENRY
HAWKINS. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire; W.A.M. XXVII.
p 29. (1893) by C.E. Ponting).
Listing NGR: SU0417294394
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings