This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.64 / 51°38'23"N
Longitude: -1.8562 / 1°51'22"W
OS Eastings: 410045
OS Northings: 193473
OS Grid: SU100934
Mapcode National: GBR 3S1.5J3
Mapcode Global: VHB35.S11M
Entry Name: Stables to South East of Alkerton House
Listing Date: 25 August 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023125
English Heritage Legacy ID: 317835
Location: Cricklade, Wiltshire, SN6
Civil Parish: Cricklade
Built-Up Area: Cricklade
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Cricklade
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
SU 19 SW CRICKLADE HIGH STREET
13/185 Stables to south-east of Alkerton
A stable block of 1862, (see date stone on the west gable, by an unknown architect, currently (2005) being used as a garage and storage space. The two storey building has an L-shaped plan and is constructed of plain brick and stone with a pitched asbestos slate roof of 1972 (replacing an earlier stone roof) with a brick chimney stack.
The main front of the west wing has a wide opening supported by a reinforced steel joist (late 1960s or early 1970s) replacing former double doors, with a hay loft above. The south wing, which runs east-west, has two double doorways with opening above, flanked on the left by a round-headed archway (blocked up at its south end since the late C20). To the far left it is flanked by a single doorway and to its right by three single doorways
The east gable, constructed of local dressed and coarsed stone, has two openings at first floor level. The west gable has a date stone of 1862, and is constructed of brick laid in a Flemish bond. The rear of the building to the south is constructed of dressed coarsed stone. The north gable is of brick laid in a Flemish bond with dressed limestone quoins.
Interior: the stable room in the west wing has a geometrically laid cobbled stone floor, wainscotted panelling with a corner through and lime plastered walls. Narrow, open wood stairs lead to the hay lofts above the south and west wing. The rooms in the south wing contain stone or tile floors, fixed casement windows to the south, wainscotted panelling and saddle racks in some. The hay lofts above have wooden floors and mill-sawn King Post roofs.
The stable block was built for Alkerton House (qv) with which it forms and important group.
Listing NGR: SU1004593473
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings