This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6734 / 51°40'24"N
Longitude: -1.8169 / 1°49'0"W
OS Eastings: 412755
OS Northings: 197197
OS Grid: SU127971
Mapcode National: GBR 4T1.3FC
Mapcode Global: VHB30.G69H
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 17 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023152
English Heritage Legacy ID: 317901
Location: Marston Maisey, Wiltshire, SN6
Civil Parish: Marston Maisey
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Meysey Hampton with Marston Meysey
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SU 19 NW MARSTON MEYSEY THE STREET
2/252 Church of St. James
Anglican parish church, 1874-6 by James Brooks, replacing 2-cell
church of 1648. Coursed limestone rubble, stone slate roof. Nave
and chancel in 1 vessel and north vestry. Door in west end of
south wall; pair of doors within splayed jambs set forward from
wall face, and having 5 near-round chamfered arches and a hood
mould. Lancet windows above a continuous string, also nearly
round-headed with hoods. Similar but larger window at west end,
triple lancets at east, with roundel vents over. Rose window with
nail-head in west gable. Shallow buttresses define chancel.
Arched opening in west gable apex contains bell. Vestry on north
side with shouldered door under extension of roof. Tall chimney.
Interior: Unplastered. Barrel boarded vault to nave. Chancel
raised up 2 steps, the arch chamfered and with hood moulding, on
corbels. Low screen wall faced with panels of encaustic tiles.
Chancel of 2 bays, rectangular ribbed vault of stone on attached
wall shafts. Capitals and ribs have nail-head decoration. Broad
reveals to east window. Fittings: Octagonal font in coloured
stones in south-west corner. Pulpit in banded limestone and
sandstone pierced with quatrefoils and cantilevered from chancel
screen. Piscina in arched recess in window jamb, the sill of which
is lowered as simple sedilia. Brass sanctuary rail. Piscina in
east window of vestry. Good glass of 1880-90 by Baguley of
Newcastle on Tyne. Monuments: In nave, limestone wall memorial,
C20 in form of low relief aedicule. A modest but carefully
conceived and detailed design.
Listing NGR: SU1275597197
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings