This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5835 / 51°35'0"N
Longitude: -1.8624 / 1°51'44"W
OS Eastings: 409631
OS Northings: 187195
OS Grid: SU096871
Mapcode National: GBR 3SM.PZ3
Mapcode Global: VHB3C.NGSD
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 17 January 1958
Last Amended: 17 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023170
English Heritage Legacy ID: 317947
Location: Purton, Wiltshire, SN5
Civil Parish: Purton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Purton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
SU 08 NE PURTON CHURCH END
8/299 Manor House
(formerly listed as Manor House
17.1.58 together with Tithe Barn and
Manor House, late C16 and 1682. Altered c.1900. Limestone rubble
with ashlar quoins and dressings. Stone slate roofs. Two storeys
and attics. Five-bays. Central cross passage to lateral hall on
right, stair at upper end, rear. Wings developed on bays 1 and 5
to rear. Central 2 storey porch with round torus moulded arch.
Inner door C19. Heavy string course and eaves corbel table. Flat
roof and low parapet. Four-light ovolo moulded windows to main
block under continuous string course to ground floor, label
mouldings to upper floors. Central and end bays raised as gables
with coped apex and 3-light mullioned windows. Large external
stacks at ends with 4 brick diagonal shafts to left end, 3 to right
and 4 other brick stacks, all lowered c.1900. Stair protrudes as
tower to rear and C19-C20 extensions. End gable porch on right
with date 1682 and Sun Insurance mark, No 425563.
Interior: altered c.1900 and recently modernised.
The property originally belonged to Malmesbury Abbey until the
Dissolution, then passed through Bennet and Jay families until
rebuilt by Lord Chandos in late C16. An imposing building in a
picturesque setting. (Elyard S.J. Some Old Wiltshire Homes, 1894).
Listing NGR: SU0963187195
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings