History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Easton Grey, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5875 / 51°35'15"N

Longitude: -2.1734 / 2°10'24"W

OS Eastings: 388084

OS Northings: 187642

OS Grid: ST880876

Mapcode National: GBR 1PK.HB1

Mapcode Global: VH95R.8CWC

Entry Name: Parish Church

Listing Date: 28 October 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023199

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318017

Location: Easton Grey, Wiltshire, SN16

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Easton Grey

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Easton Grey

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Easton Grey

Listing Text

EASTON GREY MALMESBURY ROAD
ST 88 NE
(south side)
3/20 Parish Church
28.10.59
GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. C15 west tower, remainder 1836 with late
C19 refenestration. Coursed rubble with roughcast to tower,
squared dressed stone to nave and chancel; ashlar buttresses and
copings, stone slate roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, south
porch. Three stage tower with string courses, a south-east corner
canted stair turret and embattled parapet. West facade has one 2-
light Perpendicular window under pointed head to first stage, a
single opening to second stage and 2-light trefoil-headed bell
opening with slate louvres. Similar bell openings on north and
east faces, single opening on south face. Nave has 2 Perpendicular
style C19 two-cusped-light windows with hoodmoulds to south and 3
similar windows to the north. Similar east window of 3 lights.
Tudor-arched south door with hoodmould to chancel. Gabled south
porch dated 1836 with pointed-arched entrance and 2-leaf wooden
Gothic gates.
Interior. Single chamfer pointed arch to tower. 1836 coved and
ribbed Gothick vault to nave and chancel. Fittings. C13 font at
tower arch: cylindrical pillar with moulded bowl. 1836 box pews
to nave. Royal Coat of Arms: GR/1818, above south door. Two
decalogue boards on south wall, Creed and Paternoster boards on
north wall. Late C17 wall monument to Thomas Hodges on nave north
wall. Restored Jacobean pulpit with tester. Early C19 Gothic
organ. Chancel has 3 fine, if rustic, wall monuments (late C17-
early C18). South porch has an I.C.B.S. board of 1836 recording
repewing and a benefaction board.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)


Listing NGR: ST8808487642

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.