This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5571 / 51°33'25"N
Longitude: -2.1668 / 2°10'0"W
OS Eastings: 388530
OS Northings: 184256
OS Grid: ST885842
Mapcode National: GBR 1PY.BZC
Mapcode Global: VH95Y.D4B5
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 28 October 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023214
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318052
Location: Norton, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Norton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Norton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
NORTON CHURCH LANE
ST 88 SE
Church of All Saints
Anglican Parish Church. Probable C13 origin, rebuilt in the C15
and restored in 1854, probably by James Thomson for Joseph Neeld of
Grittleton House (date on bellcote weathervane). Coursed rubble
with some render, particularly on chancel south and east walls,
ashlar to buttresses, window surrounds, copings and bellcote, stone
slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north porch, west bellcote. Nave
south side has 2 cusped-light Perpendicular windows under flat
heads with hoodmoulds and a blocked C13 doorway with pointed head
and hoodmould. North side has similar C15 window and one 1854
window of 2 round-headed lights in original C15 opening. Similar
C19 window to chancel north side; south side has a single light
window. East window of 3 lights with C19 plate tracery under
pointed head. Diagonal buttresses with set-offs to nave and
chancel. Gabled north porch with round-headed entrance, 4-centred
arch to doorway with plank door. Bellcote originally built as a
turret on Grittleton House, dismantled and resited on church in
1854: Romanesque style with 2-arched openings to each side and
pyramidal roof with weathervane.
Interior. Open rafter roofs to nave and chancel. C19 pointed
arch to chancel. Fittings. Nave has early C13 font:
cylindrical pillar with trumpet capital frieze below circular bowl.
Paternoster board on north wall, Creed and Exodus boards on south
wall. Jacobean pulpit. Neo-classical marble wall monument of
1830 to William Walker on west wall.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975; for
Thomson's design for Grittleton with the Romanesque turrets see the
Listing NGR: ST8853084256
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings