This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5724 / 51°34'20"N
Longitude: -2.15 / 2°9'0"W
OS Eastings: 389698
OS Northings: 185954
OS Grid: ST896859
Mapcode National: GBR 1PS.98N
Mapcode Global: VH95R.PR70
Entry Name: Parish Church
Listing Date: 28 October 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023219
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318064
Location: Norton, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Norton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Foxley with Bremilham
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
NORTON THE STREET, Foxley
ST 88 NE
3/67 Parish Church
Anglican parish church. Probable Saxo-Norman origin with C13,
C15, c1708 additions and alterations and late C19 restoration.
Coursed rubble with some herringbone masonry to chancel, squared
and coursed rubble to nave and tower. Ashlar to south porch
facade, buttresses, quoins and window surrounds. Nave, chancel,
west tower, north aisle extended to form a transept and south
porch. South elevation of nave and chancel has 3 Perpendicular
windows of 2 and 3-cusped-lights under flat heads, that to chancel
C19, and 1 single-cusped-light window. North side of chancel has
a 3-light C15 window set within a Tudor-arched recess which may
denote a demolished Early English tomb recess. Nave north side
has a 3-light mullioned window under flat head. Aisle-transept
has 2 gable ends and 2 and 3-light C15 windows under flat heads
with hoodmoulds and large lozenge labels. C15 tower restored c1708
of 2 stages with low, diagonal buttresses to west corners, 2 round-
headed lights to bell openings and oversized crocketed corner
pinnacles. Doorway under flat head to west face with hoodmould
and plank door, single 2-light window to north face, clock to
south. Circa 1708 south porch with rusticated quoins, cambered
entrance arch with bracketed keystone and pediment with urn at
apex. South door has heavy bolection moulding and 2-leaf plank
doors; stone seats either side.
Interior. Nave has C13 north arcade to aisle-transept (2 bays
with further, west, bay demolished): clustered shafts, trumpet and
stiff-leaf capitals and pointed arches with 2 orders of roll
moulding. C15 tie and collar-beam roof with arched braces to
collars and single tier of windbraces. C15 open rafter roofs to
chancel and north transept. Chancel has nodding ogee-headed niche
to north wall cut off by insertion of C15 wall and window.
Fittings. Nave has C13 font: circular pillar with ring shaft and
circular bowl, early C18 pulpit, 5 prayer boards on west wall and
early C20 roodscreen and pews. Chancel has C18 communion rail and
contemporary panelling to side walls and reredos. North transept
has fine 1722 monument to George Ayliffe by Stanton and Horsenail:
marble in Baroque style with barley sugar columns, flaming urns and
frothy inscription cartouche. Fine stained glass Luce memorial
window of 1901 to nave south wall, 1865 and 1866 windows to chancel
and later C19 window to transept.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975.)
Listing NGR: ST8970285960
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings