This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6624 / 51°39'44"N
Longitude: -1.7898 / 1°47'23"W
OS Eastings: 414635
OS Northings: 195975
OS Grid: SU146959
Mapcode National: GBR 4T2.Q9L
Mapcode Global: VHB30.XGNZ
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023297
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318256
Location: Castle Eaton, Swindon, SN6
Civil Parish: Castle Eaton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Castle Eaton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
THE STREET (north side),
Parish Church of St Mary
Mostly C13 and Butterfield. (Restoration 1861-3, principally to roof). Rubble
with stone tile roof. Two-stage crenellated west tower. Four-bay nave with
gabled C15 south porch. Three-bay late C13 chancel. Odd corbelled belfry over
crossing with spire and weathervane. Nave has an early C14 window and two restored
geometric-type windows. Chancel windows plain with slight cusping. Projecting
gabled vestry to north-east (1860s) with small 2-light cellar or damp proof
windows and reticulated window to the east. Porch has diagonal buttresses and
a niche over; south door late Norman with two slightly carved caps to nook shafts,
chevron and roll label with pellets and dragon head stops. Tower C15 with high
stepped and twice moulded plinth and diagonal outer buttresses. Two-light
belfry windows, foiled with square heads and drips. Pointed west door with
Perpendicular period window above.
North side has catslide roof and plain Norman arched north door.
Inside porch is a large effigy slab of a knight - probably mid C14 for brass.
INTERIOR: north arcade removed and replaced by timber posts, wall painting of
Virgin on east chamfered respond. Good Jacobean pulpit incorporating part of
a C15 screen. A number of memorials in tower chamber, the best to Walter Parker, died 1664 - a swagged oval with two putti supporting arms. Numerous C18 and C19 tombstones in graveyard to south, several with carved angel heads, two chest tombs of early C19 and one moulded unscrolled top of a bale tomb (to south of the church).
Listing NGR: SU1463595975
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings